If he would hit you, what makes you think he wouldn't hit your child?

I've been reading through lots of post where women left an abusive ex, BUT left their children because "he wouldn't hit the kids". Rather or not you've been in an abusive relationship, can you give me some insight? If someone can raise their hand to an adult that can defend themselves, why do you think they wouldn't do the same to a small defenseless child? IMO, children would be less likely to tell that they are being abused because adults can manipulate them and you might never know...

roxy85

Asked by roxy85 at 5:58 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Relationships

• This is an easy one. Because so many believe in spanking their children. It's not abuse, it's dicipline. They're allowed to hit the children. Just not the wives.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• There is a difference between abusing a child and disciplining them. I think an abusive husband is also an abusive dad. Men like that have psychological needs to be dominate and exercise it over weaker beings or people they see "beneath them" (i.e. wives, children, animals). Kids are more likely to be abused because whoever is doing it can tell them "If you tell anyone I'll kill you." or "I'll kill your family.". They can be manipulated with the use of their love for family or whatever.

MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 6:41 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Well because he would hit me once and i would be dragging him outta here in a HEFTY BAG so he would never have a chance to hit one of the kids!!! But on another note most men who hit do it to punish thier wives or SO's and usually dont harm their children but then you have just the plain ass mean men who just beat everything... you, the kids, pets and what have you!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• If I left my husband my kids wouldn't stay back for any reason. But, he isn't abusive.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:16 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• there would be no way id leave my kids behind for any reason. if he hit me that would be the last of him
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 8:32 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My older children father was abusive and I always thought he would never take it out on the kids. Boy was I wrong but it gave me the strength I needed to leave. He "spanked" my son for not listening. He was almost three. The poor baby had welts on his behind thru the damn diaper!! I left the next week with nowhere to live and no car. But I have never regretted it. My kids come first now.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 11:28 AM on Dec. 17, 2008