Foodstamps, ssi and medicaid

ok so my husband works full time and I go to school fulltime. we have two kids seeing how hard things are i see the importance in school to better myself . my mom had a dozen kids foodstamps social security check and public housing never worked a day in her life. i dont want to be like that.(I don`t live with my mom) I just recently left a shelter . in order to stay in a shelter you have to get on cash assistance but because of our income we recieved n0 cash money and $30 in foodstamps. I had to go to a mandatory 9am to 5 pm training program or risk getting kicked out the shelter. the hassle was the worst experience. most people in my shelter were recieving cash assistance but found a way out of getting out the program by having family memeber say that they work off the books. they were all using drugs. My child receives a ssi check but the income limit is 3000. Im really getting tired of all government assistance they have to know whats in your bank at al times and being on it doesnt allow you to save. Im really worried though because with no affordable housing/ section 8 is closed and public housing waiting list is forever. I really dont know if I can make it on my own. Ireally want to because my kids deserve good. I wont have anymore kids its too hard. Im really trying . I feel so bad because letting go of all benefits means me barley seeing my kids . Im going to have to find an over night job and barely be able to study. the reason I`m letting my benefits go is because I want to start saving money and government benefits seem like a trap. as soon as you make $1 over the limit you lose everything medicaid foodstamps ssi. I wish it was more alternatives to people who want a better life. I wish growing up my mom couldve been a better role model . im confused of how to fix my life. I have only a highschool diploma so most jobs are minimum wage until i graduate

sweets10453

Asked by sweets10453 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• Can I be honest, sometimes having a degree doesnt give you a pay raise. My hubby has a bachelors is sales and advertising and is working his ass off for 10 bucks an hour.
    Anonymous

• yes and the way prices are for everything , and rent etc.. , its rough
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Good for you, I know it's hard but in the long run you will be better off because you have a plan and you want to save. It's unfortunate that the government seems to be an all or nothing program that really discourages people from trying to get into a more secure situation. You're doing more good for your kids than you realize, the fact they they will see how hard you worked to make a better life for your family will benefit them in ways you can't even know right now.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Yeah it is sad, but you are trying .... I was like u I didnt want to go that way either.. But last yr I had a brain bleed. Almost died single mom and now I am disabled and you're right they need to know down to the penny and what's in ur purse and I am depressed bc its just me and her I have no other choices. So. I am so glad and happy u have a awesome hubby that has ur back.. I feel so .. Idk... Like that show persons unknown where they know all.....
    Blakesgirl31

Answer by Blakesgirl31 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• So can u work being disabled they never told me. I am medically .
    Blakesgirl31

Answer by Blakesgirl31 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• wow I feel like Im trapped I dont want to drop out of school. If i get off of assistance Im stuck with no health insurance or help.If i stay in school and work full time and care for my kids i will be exhausted . I want to one day own a house and not live pay check to pay check. not to mention i feel ashame of using government benefits . Everyone assumes people on assistance is lazy. my husband make 11 an hour. my husband and I deal with things as it come. The main reason I want to start saving is just incase I don`t get a good job after I graduate I want to atleast be able to save for a down payment for a house even if it takes forever but you cant save on government assistance .
    sweets10453

Comment by sweets10453 (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• blakesgirl31 yes you can work but i believe part time. I received ssi for my daughter so they allow you to work but not make over 3000 if your married 200 if your single but i live in ny . NY is very expensive i wish I could move
    sweets10453

Comment by sweets10453 (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• if single *2000 sorry
    sweets10453

Comment by sweets10453 (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I know. Thats why I too feel so ashamed. I feel its my fault I had the brain bleed its not, but still now I cant save like I once was. But I feel how u do. But good luck. :)
    Blakesgirl31

Answer by Blakesgirl31 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Yeah... I know I cant though I get exhausted doing dishes now. I live in a sm town in tx the living is not expensive after my two back to back surgeries I was not the same person. Tired doing dishes? Insane! I wish u all the best keep me informed ok!!!;)
    Blakesgirl31

Answer by Blakesgirl31 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2011