Why do I have such a big problem with throwing things away???

I am getting burried under all the clutter and don't know how to change my habits!! It's not filth at all, its just an overwhelming pile of clothes x 6 people. Papers, papers, papers!!!! Just TONS & TONS of junk that I can't seem to part with but don't want anymore (crazy, yeah I know!) and I just continue to collect more and more. I have to do something because my inlaws are coming to my home for the 1st time in 10 yrs. They live on the opposite coast from us.... I have spent ALL day cleaning out my closet and I finally found a spot of carpet the size of a frisbee!! I'm going to loose my mind!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Sounds as if you might suffer from the OCD condition of Hoarding! You may have to get professional help before you will be able to completely get rid of the "clutter".
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I wish the OCD leaned more to the cleaning side. =)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I am doing this now because we are moving in a few months. I adopted the 3 year rule and the 5 second thought. I look at it and if I haven't used it in 3 years, chances are I probably won't in another 3 years. If it's not too sentimental, I give myself a few seconds and throw it away. I've watched a lot of Hoarders episodes and that has helped me. Plus my dad died in November and we had to go through his belongings. Good luck!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• You may want to look into some cognitize behavorial therapy with a good counselor. It can help wonders. I agree, it sounds like you have OCD.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• You have to tell yourself that you can not hold on to everything. Papers, if they are not important documents, or your child's hand prints, do you really need them? Clothes, if they do not fit or you know you will never wear them again, give them to some one who may need them. Toys, if your kids have out grown them and you are not going to have any more children give them away or have a yard sale. Stuff in general, if it has dust on it, clean it up and make some money in a yard sale. So start by making piles, trash, yard sale, keep. If it seems over whelming try throwing away 10 things per room a day. Good Luck I know how you feel my MIL wantsme to have everyone over to my house for the Holidays, so nice of her to volunteer me.

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 9:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Thin it out 1 catagory at a time so you won't feel over whelmed and think of all the money you can make selling it or giving to charity. Avoid going right back out and getting more stuff but focus on a larger scale.
    Anonymous

• Take it one step at a time
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Thank you all very much. I am just taking it one day at a time. Today was my room, and will be for the next week. It will take that long to seriously go through these things and get rid of EVERYTHING that is not necessary. Next week will be the living room, so on and so forth.Hopefully I will be done in a month and 1/2 for my in-laws visit...

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2011