Ladies night

There is a group of ladies that I hang out with and we have a ladies night every once in a while. We take turns hosting and everyone brings a snack to share or some wine. Anyway...one lady always brings her kids which would not be a problem....except they do not know how to stay out of anyones business. They constantly interrupt and will sit in the middle of everything and try to participate. Whenever we have it at her house, the kids are running around like they have lost their heads. It gets really old. Several of us have had to bring our kids at some point or another. We are all married so typically our husbands keep our kids for us. This lady though brings her kids every time because they want to come with us. We have tried putting movies on for them and other things to keep them entertained. We find that we have to watch what we are saying when she come over with the kids. It kind of defeats the purpose of a relaxing night as well. Does anyone have any ideas on how we can get her to understand that the kids interfere with ladies night? The other issue is that they will hover around the food table and eat almost everything leaving nothing for the rest of us. Any advice would be appreciated.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• What happens when you are at the friend's house who has the kids, is it like that there too?? If the other ladies feel the same way, I would try suggesting that you all tell the one that brings her kids all the time that you would rather not have them there if they cannot behave. Letting her know that it is interfearing with "Ladies Night". Hope everything goes well
    hottmomma042607

Answer by hottmomma042607 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Could one or some of the other husbands volunteer to keep the kids at their house so it can truly be a ladies night? I mean they're already watching kids... or could you suggest renting a movie for the kids to watch in a separate room?
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 5:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Wow tell her what you told us your kids are welcome once and a while but maybe every once and a while you can leave them at home. Its your night and you understand but take it back.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• It's called "ladies" night not "kids" night!! Just be honest with her
    Helen2004

Answer by Helen2004 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• hahaha!! I have the same problem. I tried to be honest and handle the situation kindly but my friend took really bad she told me that if her kids were not welcome to my house neither was she. But I mean in my case, these kids were very annoying they painted in my kid's room wall with crayons, torn out books I have checked out of the library, they scratched all my disney movies, and messed up all my board games besdies doing a mess in my kitchen. The worse thing was the mom never really say anything I did not expect her to spank them or anything like that but a least to talk to them and ask them to stop messing up my house so much. From experience, your friend is not going to take it well but it is not ok other people not respecting your time to relax especially since you guys only do it once in a while. Good luck!!!!
    paufonseca

Answer by paufonseca at 7:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I know what to do- your next girls night you're going to host a sex toy party. NO ONE UNDER 18 admitted. If she shows up, she'll see how much fun she can have WITHOUT them!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I think you and the others should just get together and tell her that you are retracting the "ok" for children to attend, unless it's an absolute emergency. (Dh is sick or something like that). You have a right for your down time to be undisturbed by unruly children. My dh works swing shifts, but if he were working I'd make other arrangements or not come. This woman is taking advantage of your graciousness.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• She has a husband and he has said on more than one occasion that he is willing to keep the kids home....but the kids go everywhere Mama goes and she refuses to tell them they can't. When we have it at her house they act the same way. They are all in everyones business. We have tried putting movies on for the kids and they don't watch them. We were at another ladies house and one of the kids actually walked over to the tv in the room we were in and turned it on and tried to play a video game. It would be one thing if this were just one kid but she has three. There have been times as I said that I had to bring my dd. I always made sure to bring her some stuff to do and we had a talk before we went. She finds herself a place to sit and occupys herself.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 8:20 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Try having a Party Gals party. Its an adult only party and do your best to make sure she comes (these make for a great night ) then afterwards try to subtly point out how nice it was to have the adult only time and suggest that she bring her kids less often.
    Savannah.partyg

Answer by Savannah.partyg at 10:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2011