What is the earliest you've given your child baby food?

My DS wants to nurse literally every hour! And he runs out of milk when I'm at work and I don't know what to do? Can I try rice cereal or straight up baby food, maybe just for one feeding?

b.inwonderland

Asked by b.inwonderland at 6:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Kids' Health

• How old is your son? I would guess he's going through a growth spurt.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I'm with JulieJacobKyle! It's most likely a growth spurt - there are many throughout the first year of life.

Introducing baby food early can be hard on a LO's tummy, so it's best to wait. Plus most don't get the spoon-tongue reflex until around 5 to 6 months of age.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 6:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• How old is your DS? I went through that with my son...he started doing that at about 2.5 months. I started out by giving him rice cereal in the bottle with formula once in the morning and once at night...It worked for him then about 3.5 - 4 months I started giving him rice with baby applesauce. Hope this helps
    hottmomma042607

Answer by hottmomma042607 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I'll probably get told what a terrible mom I am, but I started all 3 of my kids on cereal at about 2 weeks old. They are now 26 (27 this Wednesday in fact), 24 (and a mom herself of 2, who yeah, she fed cereal to at 2 weeks),and 17. All are perfectly healthy, none have extreme food allergies, none have weight problems, none were adversely affected or scarred for life. What did happen is that they'd sleep longer, with their little tummies full.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• That's how old he is no hottmomma042607, so rice cereal is okay this early, like just once or twice a day? Do I have to mix it with formula?
    b.inwonderland

Comment by b.inwonderland (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I'm with cbk_mom3, I also raised my kids on a spoonful of cereal in their bottle at 2 weeks. They slept better, I slept better and my kids are now 21, 20, 19, 19, and 11. No food allergies, no problems. I wouldn't start any fruit or veggies until 6-8 weeks, then introduce 1 new food a week so you can detect any allergy early.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 6:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• He sleeps through the night, bless his heart! But with him running out of milk when I'm gone, I travel for work 1.5 hours one way! So I can't exactly rush home to him to get him more.
    b.inwonderland

Comment by b.inwonderland (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• you guys are so great! my grandmother suggested the rice cereal, and I got froot-loops when I was a baby in my bottle and I still love them lol
    b.inwonderland

Comment by b.inwonderland (original poster) at 6:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• DD didn't get anything but milk until she had like tirpled her birth weight, could sit on her own, hold her own bottle, etc. She was almost 5 months old, I think, and I had the approval of her ped before I even tried to give her anything else. Your baby is probably going through a growth spurt. And giving anything in a bottle besides milk is dangerous, just fyi.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I did the same as CBK mom. My son had cereal at 2 weeks old, on a spoon, Baby food at about a month, milk at 8 months and all tablefood at about 9 months. He is a healthy (allergy free) 15 year old. He has never had stomach problems either. Every child is different and can handle foods at different times. I had the blessing of 2 doctors and a nutritionist to do what I did. YOU know what's best for your child and that is what matters.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2011