Why do people think the ER is the answer for everything?

I work in an ER and 75% of the patients that come in shouldn't be there. You don't need to come to the ER for a sore throat, cough, or cold and flu symptoms, and especially not if they just start THAT day. If you've just been to the doctor yesterday, or the same day, and they told you you have a virus that just needs to run it's course, you don't belong in the ER. Most of the people that come in are either on Medicaid or have no insurance at all, and have no intentions of paying their medical bills anyway. Also, be truthful! These people are there to help you so stop lying!

MomMom23

Asked by MomMom23 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Health

• My ss mother does that too voni681. He has not peditrican he sees. I understand if your super sick and have no insurence, but some stuff does need to stay out of the er
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• if you dont have insurance , thats the only place you can go most times- you should know that
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I took my 3 week old baby in for an eye infection at 6pm on a Friday night (4th of July weekend) because I knew her pediatrician and urgent care were closed for the weekend. I wasn't waiting until Monday, and I paid the $250 for the visit. Last I knew, hospitals were still a business interested in making money...whether it is an eye infection or a broken leg. I'll make my own decisions, thank you very much.

Oh, and my kids' grandpa is an ER doctor, grandma is an ER nurse, and have never complained.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• It's not that simple. Stop judging others and just what you are paid for. Attitudes like yours are why I walked around on a broken foot for three days because it was dismissed as a sprain because I had no insurance. Btw the bill was paid.

And even if they don't pay! Really! $500 for an ER visit, and You know damn well it wasn't worth that much.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• but the staff is kind enough to help most people with financial assistance for their visit

that would be called: "Doing your job!" doctors get paid regardless, so why the hell does it matter?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Wow, tell us how you really feel! I hope you aren't taking care of me

Obviously you know that people without insurance only have the ER to go to! And not everyone is able to pay their bill let alone insurance premiums. You don't know their life and their struggles. They are just as deserving of healthcare as everyone else. Shame on you.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• lol.. I've only been to the ER with my kids twice... once for bumping her head (the lump was HUGE) I was first time mom, and it was the weekend so her doctors office was closed and I just wanted to make sure she didn't have a concusion or anything.
    second time was when she broke out in hives.. (it was late and night, so again her doctors office was closed).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• "Every ER patient without insurance is screened for financial assistance"

no hospital I even went to did that.. I went myself before I had kids (once for kidney stones, and once for a broken bone) and neither time I had insurance... I was put into the ER, they asked if I had insurance, I said no, and that was that.. sorry, but not every hospital does that.. maybe it's just a state thing in your state....
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Sorry OP but you are so out of line and off base. Childish as well. It frightens me that someone with your personal hang ups could be touching my child. Just sad. It's not the people coming into the ER with the problem. It's you.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I wish I knew the answer to this one. My Step sons mother takes him to the ER for a runny nose. UGH and she is an RN? some people.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2011