Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Got married and wanting to change my last name. How? And what else do I have to do and or change? Living in the state of CA

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • Social Security office, DMV, bank, credit cards, any bills that have your name on them.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

  • i think when you fill out your marriage license they have a spot for your new last name that youll be taking on. i could be wrong though! i got married in oregon an thats how it was id assume its the same for every state?

    Answer by akalei at 6:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

  • Ps, you need your marriage lisence and it has to be certified.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

  • wait crap. your already married! i totally skipped that part of the question haha. i think you have go to court to change it now? im not sure.. good luck though!

    Answer by akalei at 6:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

  • Take a copy of your marriage liscense to the Social Security office, and start there.. Then after you get your new Social Sce card, take it and your marriage liscense to the DMV & get a new liscense with your new name, then change all of your bills and everything, but you don't necessarily have to chage your name on all of your bills if you don't want to because they'll know it's still you...

    Answer by something_ at 8:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

  • I already got married and have my marriage lic. So I just take it to the social security department? Along with my marriage cert?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

  • Birth Certificate, Drivers License, Social Security Card and Original Marriage Certificate...take them to Social Security Office and change your name, then when you have the new SSC you can get a new DL. Once those are changed you can change your name at the bank and all of your bills. Make sure when you get a new bank card that the number is not going to change because if it does you have to call all your creditor on auto pay and change the number.

    Answer by Rauzy at 9:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

  • You have to take your marriage license to the DMV and the Social Security office.

    Answer by chavela_carlita at 12:52 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.