How can i get my 2 year old to listen to me!

My two year old son is very active, and jumps on tables, and roots through the fride, runs outside any chance he gets,
Yells all the time when he gets told NO
and NEVER listens to me.

I dont know what to do...
He listens to his father but he is never home, always working,
How can i get him to respect and listen to me.

(also i wanted to add that he doesnt talk yet)

mandiwilson

Asked by mandiwilson at 7:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes do tell!!!
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• When you figure this one out, let everyone know. They don't call it the terrible twos for nothing. Good luck.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Not sure how his father is, but observe what his dad does differently to command respect. It shouldn't involve hitting of any kind. You have to be firm in your discipline. A timeout is a timeout and you must not give in to their crying. Also, reinforce the good behavior when you see it. If they are helpful then reward and praise them for that. It deters them from bad behavior to get your attention. To a child, it's confusing to constantly told not what to do without also being told what is the preferred behavior you would like from them. Reinforcement has clinically been proven to work better than punishment from a psychology perspective.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Doesn't talk at all? Have you mentioned it to his pediatrician? By 2 he should have some words.
    Get down on his level, eye to eye, set boundaries, and enforce them. If mine tantrums, he goes to his room - now at 2 1/2 if he starts to get upset he'll go on his own b/c he knows. Don't use the word "no" if possible. Instead of telling him "no hitting" tell him "use a gentle touch" Save no for when it's really needed.

Answer by missanc at 8:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2011