Do any of you love your pets almost as much as your children?

I have a cat that I just adore. He is like one of my kids. I don't know what I would do without him. Am I the only weirdo?

zoomomto3

Asked by zoomomto3 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Pets

• Weird, I was thinking about asking that yesterday. I have 4 cats but the oldest one is a Siamese named Bartamas and I love him soooo much, I will die inside when he dies.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't say it's the same, but I'm very attached to them. They are our friends! It would be weird if they weren't here!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I'm with Musicmom...wouldn't say that I love them the same, but I do love my kitty cat.

Now I would probably say that I love(d) my childhood dog, Jake, as much as my kids. This August will mark 2 years since he was put down at the age of 14. I still have little moments where I will cry because I miss him. I'm also pretty attached to my in-law's pets too. I've lived with them on and off for the last 5 years (because of DH being in the army)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 7:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I definitely don't love them the same, but very much. When my dog Riley was hit by a car in 2009 I cried for days. I still miss him and it has almost been 2 years since he died.
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 7:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I agree with the others- it's a different kind of love. I didn't even realize how attached I am to my kitty cats until the possibility of losing two of them came up. I've always thought of my DH as the pushover when it came to the animals, but now I know it's all me! lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• no, pets are family.
    wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 9:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I dont love them as much as my own children, but I do love them like they were family. They are always there for you and they seem to know when you are upset or sad and they try to comfort you. I dont know what i would do without them.
    maggiebgood

Answer by maggiebgood at 10:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• We have had a few dogs and I have been fond of them. But NO I could never love our pets even half as much as I love my kids. I love my kids and people more than animals.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• NO- you are not the only Weirdo! LOL:) i have always been attached to my dogs growing up but, nothing like i am to my Chi/Yorkie.. she is a huge part of my life & i am so lucky to have her in it:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My pets are second only to my daughter in my house. My collie I have had since I was fourteen and I now have a half-grown pup and two horses, a cat, an orphaned litter of kittens, and a sheep. They are all a part of my family.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 5:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2011