How do I get something off of my credit rpt that is over 7 years old?

upintrees

Asked by upintrees at 7:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Money & Work

• i blelieve your credit report is like your driving record its always there.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• You have to file a dispute with the Credit Reporting Agencies. I bought an excellent book called The Complete Credit Repair Kit by Brette Sember, Attorney At Law. I also was able to have some items removed.
    usanamama

Answer by usanamama at 8:01 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Is it accurate or is it wrong? If it is a charge off or an open account they do not have to take it off if it hasn't been paid. If it has been paid you can use a dispute letter and send one to each of the 3 major bureaus. Equifax, Expierian and Transunion.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:12 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Well it depends on how you look at it. I was a victim of ID fraud 8 years ago and was unable to prove it. The other card in which was stolen has dropped off. There is one still there though.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 8:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• dispute it...and first poster no after 7yrs its taken off...like here in 2yrs mine will be taken off and i can get a cc again, like i was an 18yr old with no past
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Dispute it. You can do it online with the agencies.
    sherriet

Answer by sherriet at 4:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I would like to add that if you dispute it, it is considered activity and if it is going to age out, disputing it will set it right back to zero. Also, the creditor will try to get their money again. I have been through this.
    Anonymous

• It's is suppose to be taken off 7 years from DATE OF LAST ACTIVITY which can mean different things. Just because it's been 7 year really dosen't mean anything. If you have made any type of payment or tried to settle, it can be reset from that date.
    Anonymous

• Ack! I'm glad you asked this. I'm wondering too! I had my identity stolen about 7 years ago but it took years to track down all the credit cards and bank accounts opened with my name and SSN. I filed a police report, wrote letters to all the collection agencies I knew about, and put a block on my credit with the 3 credit bureaus.
    Some of the letters cleared stuff up. The police report was utterly usless. I don't think the city of Oakland ever even filed it. I called the fraud investigator 3 times. Always on vacation. Atleast I have a copy. I've considered hiring a lawyer to help me fix this but I don't have that kind of money. It's a nasty crime becuase, not only have I gone years now with no credit, but it's really hard to prove. If I met this woman, I would punch her in the face.
    Anyway, now I'm living the "ignore it and it will go away" principle. So tire of dealing with it.
    Never tell anyone your SSN!

CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 8:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2008