Baby Laundry Detergent: is it needed?

I'm getting all my baby clothes organized and ready to go, but they've been in the top of my closet in the room my cat stays in- so I want to wash them in case the dander got on them (and to get rid of that startchy feel).

Do I need to wash them with baby detergent or is regular tide okay? And if baby detergent, where would I get it? Babies R Us? Walmart?

M.Galvan

Asked by M.Galvan at 7:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Many people find that using a hypoallergenic detergent, like All Free & Clear, Tide Free, etc. is just fine for their little ones' clothes.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I used good old Tide from day 1 and it was fine.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• No just use any hypoallergenic soaps.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Nope. All Free and Clear is all you need.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Nope didn't use them and didn't have a problem.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I used baby All, then decided I already use all clear and free so I just started to use it. I think they have it, for the baby smell, to make money but most importantly it is probably more gentle than regular tide for example.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• You can get it anywhere detergent is sold. I used ALL free and clear, has no perfumes or dyes. I used tide for my first DD and she broke out around her neck from it. I never got baby detergent though. You should wash them in something more mild for now until your baby is here and you can test with one shirt or something.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 7:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Unless your baby has sensitive skin, you can use regular detergent and softeners. Otherwise, you'll have to use the perfume and dye free ones.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• You may want to do a dye and fragrance free variety, but every brand makes those, and they are far cheaper than Dreft (or whatever it is). I know Purex even has one and it is about 1/4 the price of the big name baby detergent.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Use whatever you like. If you're worried about baby's skin being sensitive, Dreft and other baby detergents aren't the best anyway. I use whatever brand is on sale, and purchase the free and clear version.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2011