Cartoons these days!

Does anyone agree that cartoons may not be so gret for children anymore? I just heard the word freakin twice in 10 minutes on the adventure show. They also tend to make my child behave more wild as compared to when he watches sprout. Just wanting to know if anyone agrees and if I should no longer allow him to watch the "naughty" cartoons (he is 5)..

Destins_Mommy

Asked by Destins_Mommy at 7:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I love sprout.. its amazing..

what i dont love is spongebob (which my hubby has gotten my son to watch).. reason being for this is the other day i was watching an episode with my son and mr krabs had a boatmobile inside of the krusty krab to let it feel up with exhaust so that it would stay summer all the time. they have weird sexual jokes through out the shows and hell they had spongebob and patrick catching a ride on david hasslehoffs butt with closeups of his butt the whole time. and the episodes with them bleeping out cussing really...

when i was a kid the shows were like this.. im only 20 where did life go...

disney is another thing that is getting on my nerves.. i love the poc movies.. but i dont see how they are for kids... all the shooting and stabbing and all that.. capt hook and his pirates didnt act like that.

its just the changing in times. b4 we know it thomas the train will have hookers and crack.
    Meghan6391

Answer by Meghan6391 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Are you kidding? Do you remember Looney Toons? Tiny Toons? WB? It was all violent, sexist and down right nasty. Nothing has changed... I see no reason to stop kids from watching it... I am my child's biggest influence, not some cartoon!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I dont notice a behavior change in my kids at all. Honestly.

I don't like to pour a ton of garbage in their heads, but at the same time you can't allow a tv show to be responsible for his actions, teach him that he's responsible.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• i have noticed also alot are not good mostly because of language
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Do you not remember what cartoons were like many years ago? I remember that when characters got shot in the face (and characters were ALWAYS getting shot in the face) they would turn into small black children who sang "Shortnin' Bread." I don't think those were all so great for young children, either.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I don't know what "the adventure" show is but yeah if it has things you don't like then that show is off the list.

We watch mostly PBS/Sprout; Nick Jr; Disney Preschool - I'll let them watch Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry
    BUT Spongebob is not allowed; Family Guy is not allowed; Phinieus & Ferb (whatever) is not allowed etc...and they know and will tell me if a show comes on that I've said is junk.

Just because it's animated doesn't mean it's appropriate for all ages...I have no problem telling them that Spongebob is gross and will only rot their brain so they can't watch it - sorry. I've also banned Yo Gabba Gabba; but that's just because I think the people who created it were suffering from a bad acid trip and the show creeps me out! lol

Mine are 6 and about to be 4
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Personally I see "cartoon violence" as different than the language and attitude that they pick up from some of these shows.

My kids are smart enough to know you don't drop an iron on someone's head or slam their face in a door etc. It's harder to contain the (in our house) unacceptable attitude when you're fighting the influence from their friends *and* the tv characters...

Personally I miss the 'old school' Looney Tunes before they went thru them and sanitized all the "politically incorrect" ones. Air whatever; it's the parent's choice to let their kids watch or not.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I let my daughter watch Nick Jr. and Sprout Channel, but I watch SpongeBob and Family Guy by myself. Even back in my mom's days, they had commercials where the Flintstones were selling cigarettes.
    TashaStar81

Answer by TashaStar81 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Cartoons were way worse when we were kids. Most of us grew up without turning into homicidal maniacs. The cartoons may not be good now, but they are not going to turn your kids all evil. lol
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Elmer Fudd (sp?) is always trying to shoot a rabbit with a gun. Coyote is very violent toward roadrunner. Don't even get me started on Tom and Jerry. Honestly the cartoons are mild today.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2011