How much would you do?

I have a 3 week old son who has some trouble with reflux, I am going to try adding a little rice ceral to his bottles but not sure how much to add? Any suggestions? Please dont respond unless you have a positive suggestion...its not a matter of if i am gonna add cereal its a matter of how much. Thanks

scanamey77

Asked by scanamey77 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A teaspoon or two in a 4 oz bottle to start, would be my recommendation. I know they suggested cereal at the doctor about the same age with my niece that had reflux.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• The reason for MY suggestion is that I think it's better to reduce the acid, then to just make it heavier and keep it down. As an adult who suffers from reflux, I know that for myself, bulk just makes it worse/more uncomfortable. If I don't take my meds, I wake up choking in the middle of the night, and I fear that the same thing could happen to a baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I would NOT use cereal at this age. I would speak to the doctor, see a pediatric gastroenterologist, make sure this is reflux, and use the appropriate medication. My son had reflux, and the meds worked wonderfully until he eventually grew out of it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2011