Is it disrespectful?

To insist that a god loves someone even if they do not believe in him/her/it?
If yes, why?
If no, why?

(saw this in R&B's in another question.)

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Religious Debate

• It's disrespectful if you keeping pushing that statement on non-believers but its not disrespectful to say. Let them believe what they want and non believers will believe what they want.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I think it depends entirely on the context in which the statement is made. Just like when someone says they will pray for you.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 8:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• put it this way how would you feel if someone came up to you and said " alla still loves you even if you don't believe as were all alla's children "

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• It was done in a taunting way in that other question. It was rude that question. I do not normally find it offensive when a believer blesses me or tells me god loves me. I assume they mean it in a loving way. It is not their job to protect my sensibilities.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 8:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I personally don't think it is, but that's just me I guess.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 8:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Absolutely depends on the context it's used in. It can be condescending. But if it's genuine, and truly out of love for another, you wouldn't be boasting that you are praying for them.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I wonder what context it is ever said that would be considered non offensive? When is it ever ok to say to someone "well god loves you despite your non belief".
    I understand someone praying for me out of love (not out of self righteous) and i guess i feel the same about this. If your god loves me, fine...but what do you get out of telling me that?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Also, how is it any different than a non believer saying "your god still doesn't exist, even though you think he does."
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• She was not pushy if that is what your getting at. She was not disrespectful.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 8:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• as i see it there is no god! and IF there was a god he shore never gave a dame about me she no he dose not love me . i don't wont people coming up pushing there beliefs on me telling em god or alla or any one else loves me . as far as i see it each to there own but don't come up to me as i don't wona hear about it or talk about it

and yes i have had people come upto me in the street and say " do you know god loves you"

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2011