What do you think of parents who let their kids run around the grocery store like it's the playground?

I was grocery shopping earlier and this woman had her 5 kids all under the age of 12 running around, bothering everything, even touching the Svedka vodka in the liquor isle pretending to drink from the bottle and the mom acted as if it was okay for her child to do that. I almost tripped over one of the kids from behind after getting a frozen pizza from the freezer at the store. Then the store manager came up to the mom and told her to control her kids after the people complained to him about her and she snapped at him saying "Hey, my kids are young so back the f**k off!" What would you do if your kids acts like that?

TashaStar81

Asked by TashaStar81 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think that the mom should figure out how to either control her children OR find someone to watch them so she can shop alone!
    Anonymous

• My DD gets 3 warnings. And then its spanking time. I have and will do this every time. DD knows with "the look" to knock it off. She likes to dance in the store and I have to remind her sometimes that a grocery store is no dance hall!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Her response to the store manager explains it all. She has no respect for anyone and she's taught that to her children.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I have been seeing it more and more that people act like they are the only ones around and the only thing that matters is what is going on in their world. The woman will have her hands full in the future when those kids become teenagers. You have to get control of them while they are young or forget it it when they become teenagers/young adults
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• It drives me insane when they don't control their kids. What if someone took them and no one noticed until it was too late? This guy my So knows bumped into me at the store and he asked where my LO was, I said she is at home with her daddy because she throws fits, he says to me oh yeah well when granddaughter(he adopted cause parents went to jail) when she starts throwing fits i leave her in the aisle. She pulls stuff off the shelves and all i don't care thats why the associates are here . Thats there job to clean up. That made me mad so i left.
    rossfamiily

Answer by rossfamiily at 9:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• it drives me nuts! ive taught my 3 yo to act respectful in stores & it was NOT easy. but now she can walk beside the cart & talk/sing without being a nuisance or in the way. i worked my butt off (and still do) making sure she is well-behaved in public & it pisses me off seeing other kids doing whatever they want b/c their parents dont care enough to teach them better. mainly b/c it makes my DD want to run off & act like them & then im the big mean mommy who wont let her.

5 kids under 12 would be a lot to take to the store! but if she had raised the 2 oldest kids to behave they would set a good example for the younger 3 and/or be able to help reign them in.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Omg it drives me insane! I give them dirty looks. Yesterday there was a lady with 4 kids - they looked to be about 5 (or younger), 3, 2, and an infant - maybe 2 or 3 months. Anyway the infant was in the car seat in the big part, the 2yo was in the seat, the oldest pushed a second cart with the 3yo in the seat & all the groceries in it. The infant was screaming bloody murder then entire time, the 3yo was crying & screaming most of the time, the oldest was driving the cart all kinds of crazy and not keeping up with mom so mom kept yelling at her, the only child who got good attention was the 2yo. I just felt awful for that infant! But if my kids start acting up they know they're in trouble, and they also wouldn't dare run around a store!
    Anonymous

• i never seen this happen. mine didn;t want to sit in the cart the other day and i have not been back with her since. she will not be running around any grocery stores or any store in general. she is way too little and she will run away. its just her age. she is extremely curious ect. but hopefully i will teach her well and whenshe is old enough she will behave enough to have her walk around with me.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• When I was a store manager at a grocery store and a parent wasn't keeping their kids in check I would ask them to leave. One customer had 8 kids with her two of them knocked over an entire shelf filled with wines. The mom got mad at us for having glass items in the store. We asked her to leave and not to shop in the building again.
    Anonymous