Possible Hand Foot & Mouth disease? 3yr old w/ canker sores

My 3 year old started developing multible canker sores in his mouth fri evening. The nurses line cahlked it up to poss HFM disease but he doesn't have the rash. Anyone has any experience with this? He has so many canker sores now that his lips are a little swollen and he hasn't even been able to eat or drink very much. I'm going to get in to ssee the dr in the morning, but I was just looking for a little advice hear too.

jen282

Asked by jen282 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Health

• Sorry for the spelling errors....I didn't spell check. :P
    jen282

Comment by jen282 (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My son didn't get a rash, just the sores. Please be very careful. My son's mouth was so sore he was refusing to drink had to go to the hospital to get an IV in place. Keep an eye on him very cafefully.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• He hasn't really been drinking too much. Sips here and there of water and a popcicle. I'm worried because I can't really force him to swallow.
    jen282

Comment by jen282 (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Any fever or sore throat? Could be herpangina. Have you tried giving him ibuprofen for the pain? That can help enough to get him to drink and/or eat. Definitely see the doctor tomorrow, if the sores are really painful there is a mouth wash your dr can prescribe to ease the pain.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• my son had it this last week and only got the mouth sores at first. he was Dx on tuesday and didnt show any rash till friday evening and then only very faintly! not everyone develops the rash and not everyone gets the sores. unfortunatly the sores are the worst! my son ouldnt eat or drink. we got some mallox over the counter and it helped coat his mouth and settle his stomach ( i guess it can cause upset stomach too?) and after that he started eatinga little.
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2011