Dog for adoption

Ok we have an 11 month old pup and the neighbor LOVES her and she loves the neighbor also. My son doesn't want to get rid of the dog but he doesn't want to take care of it or give it attn either. And I'm done I can't take care of the kids the house the cars the groceries the cats the fish etc all alone.

Do you think it would be hard on my son to have the dog live next door? or should I give her to someone else so that my son wouldn't see it everyday?

myownhappiness

Asked by myownhappiness at 8:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Pets

• I think it'd be easier...he could still have a relationship with the dog, but obviously not have to take care of it (like he isn't doing now).
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 9:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I agree withe Tangle, He could even work up to walking the dog for the neighbor.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Talk to your neighbor that is willing to take the dog in. See if they will allow your son to come over and play with the dog when ever he wants, if the other home has children, it may not be the best idea.

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 9:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• If your son doesn't want to look after the dog and neither do you, then do the dog a favour and find it a new home.

This is why you shouldn't get a dog without knowing how much time and energy dogs take.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I would think the dog would be wanting to come back to your house if you send him next door.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• That would be great if I had that set-up!! No doggy mess, or expense. All of the fun for your son. How old is your son? He could give the dog baths, and walks, if you could work it out with the neighbor. Then he is learning to care for the dog, and the stress not falling on your shoulders.
    angelx3

Answer by angelx3 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Next door,then everybody wins,even the dog!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Acid its not like it has always been this way. When we got the dog everything was fine there were 2 parents living at home taking care of everything. Since then I have fallen into a deep depression and DH has started working 40 + hours a week. I never anticipated that after 6 years of DH being unemployed he would all the sudden finally find a job that has him working so much and I never thought I would feel the way I do. So put your judgement back into your pocket and save it for someone else. If I was a bad dog owner I'd let the dog sit outside and rot and not look for a better home for it. But I'm not doing that.

Update. The neighbor isn't over the loss of her dogs yet ( they passed a year ago) So she isn't ready to take the dog but I am still looking for a good home. She talked to the owner of the local pet store and they said they would take her but they would sell her to someone and I know pet stores they look for cash
    myownhappiness

Comment by myownhappiness (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• not a proper home. Whoever comes with cash first will take her home and I want to know she is going to a good home that will spend lots of time with her. So I wont be taking her there. I will continue to look for a proper placement for her.
    myownhappiness

Comment by myownhappiness (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• How old is your son? I wouldn't get rid of the dog, I would make my son honor the responsibility. IMO, getting rid of the dog is teaching your son the wrong lesson.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 9:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2011