If you saw your kids doing illegal stuff and it's caught on tape, would you turn them in to the cops?

I was reading about this mother in Milwaukee, WI who turned in her 2 kids after she saw them on the news in a video where her kids and other kids were looting a gas station. I praised her for what she did, would you do the same?

Here's the link:

http://www.thegrio.com/news/mom-turns-in-her-children-who-rob-gas-station.php

TashaStar81

Asked by TashaStar81 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Depends on what it is. I didn't read the story... so I'm using my own scenarios. If it was a serious crime like that or worse...then yes, I would report them to the cops. If it was something on a smaller scale, like I found out one of them stole a candy bar or something...I would take them to the place where it happened and tell the store owner or manager to let them decide what should be done. If he pressed charges, I wouldn't resist...if he didn't then I would make the kids work for free for a time or find some other disciplinary action. Would I ever straight up let them off the hook? No.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• yes i would as i rather they went into before the police came for them and i feel they have to answer for what they done i would stand by them all the way but i tell them they had to own up to what they did
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Yep I would. We try to teach our kids there are consequences to their actions and I can't think of a better way of proving it. Especially since what they did was illegal.
    Rauzy

Answer by Rauzy at 9:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I don't think I trust the law enforcement system completely to bestow my child's future upon them. I would definitely take the necessary action to discipline him. But first I must listen his side of the story.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I absolutely would. If a crime was committed, the criminal needs to be held responsible.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I sure would. How will they learn if mommy is protecting them even when they are doing something so wrong.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• heck yes i would! the problem with a lot of kids is their parents dont make them accept consequences for their actions or they defend them as if they did nothing wrong even when given 100% proof. i would still love them & do what i could to keep him/her from getting an unfair or over-the-top punishment, but i wouldnt sit back & pretend they were innocent angels or that the cops were just persecuting them.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I would be sure my kids took responsibility for their actions as well. I would hope anyone would do the same. Of course there are exceptions and we want to make sure they aren't unfairly judged but if they actually commit a crime then it's out of our hands. They made the choice themselves and they need to handle the consequences.
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• yes,protecting them or lying for them is not going to help them
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 10:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• it depends on what it was....but my big sister said on of her teachers cought his son on mushrooms or acid, video taped it and showed it to all of his students the next day...needless to say his kid never did it again. sometimes embarising someone is better than jail time.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2011