Ladies I need your input please here is the situation

I have a friend who is currently filling two positions one of schoolteacher at our local elementary school and one of Sunday school teacher at our church. She and her husband both have school based jobs and are active within the community because her husband wants to eventually run for a council position. The problem is that she is using the school computerized telephone system to robo call parents of her Sunday school students to remind us of field trips and church related summer activities. I have asked her twice about this, and her response is that it is more convenient for her. The problem is though that she is using tax payer funded supplies for her church related activities and this will come up when her husband starts his campaign efforts. I like them both and have tried to handle this discreetly and it's not working so who do I contact now I feel that this is wrong and is being done by more than just her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I would tell her that you will go to the authorities and turn her in if it continues. If she doesnt comply, well you warned her. For one thing she is using company time for non job related activities. That would be a reason to be fired where I worked, also using the phones for non company business would also be grounds to be fired. It is WRONG.
    maggiebgood

Answer by maggiebgood at 9:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Minding your own business and ignoring things that look wrong is exactly why Jaycee Dugard was held captive for 18 years of her life and was repeatedly raped and tortured and had two babies in a backyard by her rapist. If people don't stand up for whats right, report what looks wrong and hold people accountable, we are just like animals.
    Hunnieto3

Answer by Hunnieto3 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• If it's a local call, is it really costing anyone any money? These days I'm pretty sure you've got unlimited amounts of phonecalls/minuts on any landline (especially a city provided one) so they pay a flat rate (unless of course it's long distance). And, in addtion to that, if she isn't worried about it, I'm pretty sure it's not your problem.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 9:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I myself would honestly report the problem to the board of education and let them handle it how they wish. It's illegal to have schools involved with the "religion", some parents are against it & if she's using the Schools stuff for it, she needs to either stop or do it with her own time/money!
    something_

Answer by something_ at 9:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Nevermind the fact that she's a government employee or that this is church related. Anyone using their work phone for their personal business can be fired - even if it's a "local call" the school is still paying for the phone, the phone line, and the electricity running it, not to mention the chair she's sitting in while she makes the calls. Report it to the school board or superintendent's office.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Misuse of company property - a job ending offense. Her principal and the powers that be at the district office need to be notified.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I agree with maggiebgood. What she is doing is unethical and likely reason for dismissal. You have asked her twice already. I don't think you owe her any other warnings. She obviously doesn't have very strong ethics and as for a church position, I think she needs to be kept in check. If you want to avoid possibly getting her fired, you might want to talk to the pastor in charge at her church. Surely he would get her to understand what she is doing is wrong.
    Hunnieto3

Answer by Hunnieto3 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• If you are worried about her using public resources (equipment and her hourly wage) for personal use then you would probably need to report it to the school board or school district administration.

If you are worried about the political implications it may cause for her DH, you have already warned her of this being brought up and it's potential to be a problem.  Job done.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I myself would honestly report the problem to the board of education and let them handle it how they wish. It's illegal to have schools involved with the "religion", some parents are against it & if she's using the Schools stuff for it, she needs to either stop or do it with her own time/money
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I have considered the board of education, this has bothered me for months now and since it bothers me I am convinced it is a wrongdoing and although I have an idea I would like to help them before it becomes a problem I also am convinced I may cause more problems for myself than for them until it comes up in the paper. I understand the whole busy mom thing, as her reason for doing it but it would be just as simple for her to set up a group on her cell phone and send one text I have kept a record of all her calls and have stopped answering so that it will go to voicemail and can be kept. I want to be able to stop this I just feel like it's an abuse.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2011