Why do some women have 2,3,4,5 or more kids back to back?

I've seen women out with 4 kids in tow and they look like they're about a year apart and momma is about to pop anyday!
Do they think it'll be easier if the kids are all potty training or other activities at the same time?
IMO the parents look like they are SOOOOO exhausted and regretting their decision!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• – collapse
    Sometimes I think women do this because they don't want to work. This way they keep getting maternity leaves and get to stay home. And even though taking care of children is difficult, not everyone puts the same effort into so maybe some find it easier than working. Like a girl I know, she's had 5 kids and she's barely worked a day in her life. Is she a great mom? I don't want to be judging her but from what I have seen the answer would be NO. She feeds them homemade food so that's a big plus but other than that she plugs them in front of the t.v. from like 8 a.m. until noon while she cooks and cleans and plays fb games on her laptop. Her 2 youngest sons are like 3 and 1 and all they seem to do is watch t.v.. She told me she never takes them for walks or to the park because it's too much trouble for her. So they stay in front of a t.v. and inside an apartment all day. Tell me what you think of my answer please!
    bianca2422

Answer by bianca2422 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• I have 5 kids - 3 within 4 years, and then another 2 that are 20 months apart. I loved having my kids close together in age - they are into the same things at the same time, like to go the same places and listen to the same stories. IMO, it's just easier when they are close in age. Mine that are close play together so well! For me, it was less tiring because they entertained each other and I was less in demand - my time was free to get my work done. I have never regretted having mine close together, I actually wish all 5 of them were close in age (there's an 8 year gap in the middle)

Answer by missanc at 10:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I have 3 children, ages 4, 3 and soon to be 2. I had them so close in age because I liked the idea of bunching them all together and providing not only playmates, but hopefully lifelong best friends. I did not want to have 3 years go by and wait until my oldest was out of diapers until my second was born, it just seems redundant. I was changing diapers anyway, doing two in a row was not that much more work. So instead of changing diapers for six years straight, I changed them for 3 1/2 years with my first two. They entertain each other, we don't have a Television. I am a full time nursing student as well, so that squashes the idea that I did it so that I might be able to simply not work hard, I have a 4.0 GPA, including my generals; eventually I plan to try for medical school.

I choose to have them close in age for a variety of different reasons, but mostly because I wanted to enjoy them all simultaneously.
    AlwaysExpecting

Answer by AlwaysExpecting at 10:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Not sure but maybe they are thinking ahead like when they are older and very close or maybe the mothers were only children and wanted a big family....some start late too and feel their bio clock is running out
    Ktbugsmom22

Answer by Ktbugsmom22 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• At bianca I would have to disagree. My kids are close in age 6,7 and 2. My husband and I both wrk fulltime jobs and have business. As much as I would love to stay home and watch tv...lol

Idk why ppl have kids so close. For me, it just happened. I could never see my self at an abortion clinic so we had to man up and take care of ours. But the great part about me having all mines close is that by the time I am 40 they will all be grown and I will be on someones Island with a big glass of moscato, chillin lol just me and my hubby :)
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 9:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I normally have SIX kids with me when I go out. My 9 y/o, 7 y/o (adopted stepson) 6 y/o 5 y/o (those three were born within 1y 10m) 3y/o (nephew, babysit 60 hours a week) and my 2 y/o. Somedays, I probably look beat down and tired but, I honestly don't feel that way. Potty training was not easy except for my 9 y/o and 6 y/o the rest of them have been AWFUL. My girls (6yo & 5yo) were planned like that because I thought it would be fun...haha. I DON'T recommend it nor do I regret it.

As for the SAHM comment, I have been a SAHM for about 6.5 years and even if I only had one or two children I would still be a SAHM. I enjoy it, it satisfies me and my husband.

My whole point is don't judge you probably have no idea how their family grew like that and even though Mom looks rough she is probably just fine! :)
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I am 8 mos pregnant with out 2nd and our 1st is 15 mos old. You do the math. We want our children close together and that is our business. I am also the 4th of 8 kids, ages 30, 29, 28, 27, 26, 25, 23, and 19. My mom was amazing. She did everything for us, had dinner on the table every day for my dad as soon as he got home, and loves that she had 8 successful, independant children. We all grew up best friends and still are to this day. I married one of my brother's best friends, and three of my brothers currently live together, as they are not married and there are no girlfriends at present. We are close because we have always held the same interests, and I want that kind of amazing childhood for my kids too.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• o wow...idk seems like a lot...i choose not to have another child for a few years though! i would like this one to be out of diapers for sure
    katiefernandes

Answer by katiefernandes at 9:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• this remind me of the other week i think it funny i have a step son 10 a step daughter 8 a ds turning 3 sson but look 4 and a baby who is 9 month my friend asked me to watch her girls who are 6 months and 2 and half and i took them to the park and my step son friend wanted to come but as i was walking using my double buggy for the baby and my older kids olding a toddler hand i started spotting people giving me look i already get look for being a mother of 4 as a raise my 2 step kids full time but these were worse looks so i looked at the kids it looked like they were all my kids as it look like my kids were new born , 10 months , 2 , 3 , 8 , 9 and 10 lol so i looked like i had 7 kids .

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• but before you go juging they may not all be her kid they may be step or family members kids she rasing or care for ever day
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2011