If you make your own household cleaners what do you use and for what?

maggiebgood

Asked by maggiebgood at 9:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I use diluted liquid fabric softener to freshen my couch.  Not really a cleaning tip, but it makes everything smell great!

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 10:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Do you spray on the diluted fabric softner or use a cloth to wipe the couch down with it?
    maggiebgood

Comment by maggiebgood (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I dont make my own
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I use a 50/50 mix of white vinegar & water & lemon (I cut up the lemon & shove it in the vinegar jug, then leave it ferment in a dark cool closet for a month before I use it). I use this mix to clean pretty much everything in the house. It's excellent for cutting grease, disinfects & is perfectly safe to use around children & pets. If I need something more abrasive, then I will sprinkle a bit of baking soda then use the vinegar mix to make a paste (like a homemade softscrub) or I'll pull out the pumice stone if it's really bad (like in the toilet, for example). I also make my own laundry detergent (fels naptha, washing soda & borax) & I use white vinegar as my fabric softener. Baking soda can be sprinkled straight onto carpets or upholstery to absorb odors & freshen the fabrics (leave to set for about 30 min & vacuum up).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I make dishwasher detergent out of 1/2 borax 1/2 Super Washing Soda. 2 tbsp per load and 1/2 cup vinegar to rinse.

Laundry detergent out of 2 parts grated soap(Ivory, Zote or Fels Naptha) 1 part Borax, 1 part Super Washing Soda. 2 tbsp per medium load 3 tbsp large load and 3/4 cup vinegar instead of softener.

I used to make window cleaner, but it never worked as great as Windex, so I stopped.

There's a ton of other great recipes for homemade cleaners on tipnut.com
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2011