What would be your reaction?

If your teenage or adult child came to you and told you they were gay or bisexual, what would be your first reaction?

maggiebgood

Asked by maggiebgood at 9:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• I would ask if they were happy. If so, I am happy for them. I love them no matter what.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Thats a tough one, as far as a first reaction. Inside I would probably be sad. But outwardly I would be concerned with letting them know I love them always. Nothing will change my love for my children. They can do things you might not agree with but you still love them the same.
    Hunnieto3

Answer by Hunnieto3 at 9:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• This will probably sound naive or strange; but it's how I feel...
    I hope my kids are never in a position where they feel the have to tell me anything like that. WAIT - don't take that wrong; finish reading.
    I didn't go to my parents and tell them I'm straight. My personal preferences have never been a topic of discussion. I brought whomever home to meet them I felt deserved to meet them. I'd like my kids to have that same sense of comfort and belonging; that if they came home and said I'd like to bring my girlfriend for dinner; it would be a normal conversation and not something that required a 'pre-conversation' to prepare us for the shock or whatever...
    I hope that made sense...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I would say I still love you but what happen and why do you feel ths way
    1sexymother

Answer by 1sexymother at 9:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Not much of one. I really don't care one way or another who they love as long as the relationship was healthy. What I would want to know...and this is selfish of me and would apply to straight relationships with them as well...would be if they were going to have children. I think it would make me WAY more sad to find out my daughters didn't want to be mothers than it would be to find out they were gay.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I love my daughter unconditionally. Her sexual preference would make no difference to me at all. Her happiness; in a world where there is so much unhappiness, would be all I'd care about. She have my support 150%.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 10:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• No clue. No one can say for sure how they would react either. My dear friend told his mom in college she rejected him. His mom worked with gay men who had AIDS and most of her friends were gay. He was sure she would accept him. She never did.
    Anonymous

• depends on their actions... if DS as a preppy, colorful, wanting to wear nailpolish/makeup, i'd be like, well, i kinda knew.... but if he was a "man's man" i might be shocked, but it wouldnt change anything between us... except maybe i wouldnt have any biological grandchildren- but i'd still love him, his spouse and any adopted kids they have (if they adopt).
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 11:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• at first shocked, then wouldnt care. i have gay and bi friends and i teach my kids that its ok that is the friends choice.
    GypsyMoon605

Answer by GypsyMoon605 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 11, 2011