Is it possible to be in a relationship if you don't get along with his children?

I have been in my relationship for almost seven years and I cannot seem to get along with his two daughters. This ongoing problem has really taken its toll on me and I'm not sure how to deal with it.

cosmo89

Asked by cosmo89 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• How old are his daughters?
    MommyBre21

Answer by MommyBre21 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• If they are under 18(or really any age) just leave the parenting up to him, trying to be the 2nd or 3rd(if mom is around) parent is not going to do you any good if they don't want anything to do with you. Just be pleasent with them no matter what and try your best to co-exist.

If they are over 18 and don't "like" you then just don't try to have a relationship with them, let their father and them have their own time and you and him have your time, and just be polite when they are around and don't answer back to any of their attempts to disrupt that.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Have you talked to him about it,if so and no change I would leave.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I think that any relationship like can be rectified and it just take a person who is willing to put in the work if you love the man or see any kind of future you should atleast out forth effort but know that this isnt a fairytale and they might work with you or be willing to change but youll know that you tired and your heart will rest easy
    ZiZisMommy0117

Answer by ZiZisMommy0117 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• They come as part of the package
    1sexymother

Answer by 1sexymother at 9:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• @MommyBrea21 the girls are 10 and 11. They were 3 and 4 when we first met.
    cosmo89

Comment by cosmo89 (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I think I would leave taking care of them up to him and maybe try family counseling it might help.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My husband has two grown children that dont approve of us at all. I tried very hard with one of them, and wasnt given a chance with the other. But, because theyre grown, its his turn to think about his happiness and if they cant understand that, we cant force them. The door is always open for the relationship, but you can only have it closed in your face so many times before you stop begging them to walk through it.

With yours being so young, its different. I would let yur hubby handle as much as possible, and try to be a neutral in between. But, it is your home, and they need to show you respect. you husband should understand that and enforce it.
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 10:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• It wouldn't be worth it for me. I'd move on.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2011