Help! My 18 month old won't stop throwing tantrums!

Ok so since my LO started walking when she was around 13 months old she has also started throwing tantrums. They've progressively gotten worse and more frequent since that time.

Now she throws a fit when I put her in a shopping cart, walk in the door to our apartment, change her diaper, put her in her high chair, or try to stop her from doing any unsafe or unwanted behavior. She throws herself back, hits, screams at the top of her lungs, and even sometimes hits herself.

I've tried many different methods of handling these tantrums. I've tried putting her in a safe spot so she can work it out, putting her for mini 1-2 minute time outs in her play pen, speaking sternly to her using very basic words and nothing seems to be making a difference. I absolutely refuse to spank her or yell back at her because I feel that would be pointless, but I'm really at my wits end with her. I try my best to keep her to a schedule and to have plenty of time to run and play and I give her as much attention as I can. I realize that at this age of 18 months there is a language gap between us, which is probably part of the problem (she knows what she wants and I know what I want and the two don't work together).

Please could you help me with some suggestions!! Thanks!!

mollyelizabeth8

Asked by mollyelizabeth8 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm so sorry. My son is 22 moths and hitting this phase HARD too. Driving me and DH crazy. My older two didnt really go through this stage...so I'm in the same boat as you....but heres a BUMP for ya!
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 10:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• take deep breathes. this is her way of communicating. shes also testing her boundaries, she doesn't know what she is doing is not "right". do NOT buy into or give into her tantrums. and dont react, if you get upset she will be upset. when im frustrated my almost 2 year old twins can tell and it makes everything worse.
    other than that, my best advice is get used to it.
    just wait until shes 2.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• all i can say is good luck hun....

my 5 year old little boy throws tantrum worse than he did when he was only 2 years old!! not to scare you or anything but my son is being tested for alot of disorders right now...they wont test him for bi-polar yet because hes too young....he is a perfect little angel,then he flips out,but then he is happy again....he is hyper 24/7 and he has been on melatonin since october of last year to help him sleep at night...otherwise he would be up till 4 a.m. like he used to be!!

NO i dont give him sugary snacks, i dont allow him to have candy unles its halloween,he has to have sugar free juice....thanks to the melatonin he is also on a sleep schedule now!! he is asleep by 8:30p.m. and he wakes up at 7a.m. and thats perfect because he will be in school next month....so again good luck
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Thanks everyone!! I know it's gonna get worse from here, but at least eventually she will be able to tell me what's going on.
    mollyelizabeth8

Comment by mollyelizabeth8 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2011