What would you do?

We live in a one bedroom apartment in a triplex. Recently the building was sold to a new owner. They are pretty new at the whole manager thing becuase this is only their second property ever. They have been asking us to pay utilities which I don't feel are our responsibility. For example for the tap water, the P G and E used in the laundryroom and the trash pick up service. All this is in addition to our $550 rent. Most apartments include these things in the rent. In our area most 1 bedrooms go for $450, $500 at the most. Our rent here is actually a little steep but to have to pay all these extra bills is stupid. We try hard to be good tentants, we keep the property clean and don't have party's or do drugs. We always pay our rent on time. But we are falling behind on the bills and we are considering moving. Somebody told me that it is actually against the law for her to charge us for the water because there is only one meter for the entire building. All three apartments and the laundryroom. She just makes everybody pay 1/3. The landlord has been awesome to us, allowing us to have a cat and doing all needed repairs and I know they wouldn't want us to move. But we can't afford to pay these extra bills that I don't think we are responsible for anyway. Should I talk to them about it? What should I say? Should I say nothing and move? Thoughts?

mommytoJames512

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Home & Garden

• The cost common things like water (if there is one meter), grass cutting, snow removal, city taxes, sewer and trash pick-up should be included in the cost of your rent. Any bills that you are to be responsible for that are not in your name should be spelled out in the rental agreement. Your lease is a legal document and should be the be-all, end-all guide to what you are financially responsible for.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• What does your rental agreement say? I would start there. If it says a set price, then unless they draw up a new agreement, you shouldn't have to pay.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Our rental agreement doesn't say anything about who pays what bills.
    mommytoJames512

Comment by mommytoJames512 (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• They need to re-meter the apartments,or at least keep the washers separate. Its not fair if you're not a heavy water user.
    I'd ask to have a new lease written up or tell them you'll have to move out

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Did you pay the bills before?
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I've always paid the gas, electric, water, and trash bills at every apartment I've lived in. Maybe it is just what happens in our area.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2011