How can I tell if my child has colic?

My newborn daughter has been crying nonstop all night/day. She's eating okay, but hanst had a poopy diaper in about 24 hours. Im not sure what's wrong. Is it colic? Constipation? Gas?

HayleesMama2008

Asked by HayleesMama2008 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i just a baby 2mts ago, u can usaully tell if its gas because the baby will straightin there legs out and their belly will be hard,my daughter has really bad gas, i give her those gas drops after she eats it helps a little, but ive read that u know its colic because usually the crying starts same time everyday, there are drop over the counter for it,but i think the baby just has to grow out of it
    Mommaof3divas

Answer by Mommaof3divas at 2:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I'd call the doctor if it were me.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• It's hard to know who finds colic harder, a parent or a baby. A colicky baby is obviously in distress, uncomfortable, and can't soothe himself. But a parent can be just as upset - listening to a baby's cry for hours on end is enough to drive you to tears of your own. All babies cry sometimes; in fact, the average baby cries about two and a half hours a day. But in addition to persistent crying, a colicky baby looks truly uncomfortable. He may alternately extend or pull up his legs and pass wind. Colic usually occurs between 6 p.m. and midnight, though it can occur around the clock, generally becoming worse in the evening.

Generally, a baby becomes colicky around two to four weeks and is over it by about three months or, in less fortunate cases, six to nine months
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• You can talk to your doctor, but in some cases, they will just label the baby colicky if you say your baby cries. My son was labeled colicky at 4 days old. Brand new! He cried on average between 3-12 hours a day!! People say that the crying is usually in the evening, but my son cried anytime. Day or night, he didn't care when. Research colic as much as you can. If you need to, find someone you trust to come over and sit with your baby when you need a time out. It is a very difficult thing. I hope the best. Let me know if you have any questions.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 10:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Not pooping isn't a huge deal... some babies don't poop every single day. I don't have any experience with colic, but if you've exhausted all of the possibilities (not hot, not cold, not hungry, not tired, not teething, etc.) then give the doctor a call.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2008