How much does it cost to get an IUD like Mirena?

Meaning with no insurance. It would be totally customer pay out of my pocket?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Health

• The Mirena (Levonorgestrel) IUD is used to prevent pregnancy. It has been shown to be as effective as oral contraceptives. It works by releasing small amounts of levonorgestrel (a sex hormone) into the uterus.
    With out insurance - $270.00
    With insurance - depending on your plan - Free or copay 20.00 - 50.00
    The Mirena is the better option to the pill. It is good un to 10yrs vs. the pill is a copay or cash price every month--- beside the pill you have to remember to take. The Mirena you get it put in and forget about it!!!
    texasMOMto4

Answer by texasMOMto4 at 9:52 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My insurance would not cover it when I got my Mirena. I had to pay $585.89 for the IUD and another $100+ for the visit for insertion. Mirena will set up a payment plan for you though if you would like. The Mirena IUD is good for 5 years and for me, will be cost effective within the first year I have it. Good luck.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 12:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I had insurance thru the state and there was a discrepency and they were going to come after me for $800 for having had it put in. I think the glitch was resolved because I haven't heard anything since.
    klpzack

Answer by klpzack at 7:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2009