Are your kids bad about not wanting to eat dinner? try this!!

my 5 year old is always making up some kind of excuse as to why he cant or dont want to eat...
example: "my tummy hurts,my legs hurt,my arms hurt,i dont feel good,my face hurts,etc..."

i got tired of him not wanting to eat dinner with me so i said lets race! but there are rules to this game....dont eat too fast,chew all of your food,and the first one done is the winner for the night!!

he loved the idea and i almost always let him win...he enjoys it and ive not had to hear,"i dont want to eat".......now i hear this instead: "mom can we race tonight?"

just dont let them eat their food too fast,make sure its small bites,and make sure all the food in their mouth is gone before putting more food in it!! if they follow the rules it can make for a fun dinner game....

SMALLfry05

Asked by SMALLfry05 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Food & Drink

• In theory it sounds like a good idea, but I can't imagine a kid trying to "race" to finish his food without eating too fast...
    Anonymous

• trust me ive done it with my son....he is 5 years old and he follows the dinner game rules because he doesnt want to get hurt in anyway shape or form!! i mean he is a boy for petes sake!! they are notorious for getting hurt right? but again he follows the rules of the game and he now eats dinner with me everynight without an argument......if he starts eating too fast i just tell him ok im done racing because you didnt follow the rules....
    SMALLfry05

Comment by SMALLfry05 (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• It sounds like a good idea but it would never work on my 6 yr old his not wanting to eat comes from being food sensitive...it has to smell right, look okay, he can tell the name brand from an off brand and won't eat. He will starve himself if his food is not just right
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:14 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Doesn't sound like that would be good for the digestive system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• ok let me rephrase this post because everyone seems to think i mean really racing.....not all races are done as fast as possible!!
    im trying to explain it in a simple way....i dont actually race my son,i just eat at my normal pace and i make him do the same!! if you dont like the idea dont use it....its not for everyone,i was just giving you an idea of something you could try with your kids....it works for my son,that doesnt mean it will work for your kids....you just try it out and if it works then great,if it doesnt then oh well,at least you tried....
    SMALLfry05

Comment by SMALLfry05 (original poster) at 9:01 AM on Jul. 11, 2011