My caucasisn lady friends please help me understand something

I've had this happen twice and do not understand it. A asian and white friend both went tanning and next day came in can was like "look im almost your color" placing their forarm up to mine. Now I dont take it personal but then I do. Like what is the point in saying that? and do they (they must) think its funny? IDK I've always know that black women are the least respected and seen as less attractive in the media and such so why are these light skin people trying to be my "ugly" color?

Again I am not saying I am ugly but the truth is black women are the last to recieve advancement of any sort so I'm sensitive bout things like this cause (to me) they dont know what it is like to be seen as "not attractive" because of color......

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 11:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• they want your beautiful color. You are not supposed to be so sensitive about it. They feel comfortable acknowledging it with you..It is not something you should try and make go away..It is what it is. there is nothing wrong with honesty and you should love everything about you. This is not about media or work..screw the media!!! You need to tell them how you feel about and ask them to stop or tell them they can keep trying to be as beautiful as you all they want but it will never happen. :)
    Anonymous

• I can only speak for myself, but first, I would never say that to anyone other than a very close friend. But honestly, I would take it as a compliment because they clearly envy your complexion...women of every color are beautiful, and you should see yourself as such. You are beautiful. You are beautiful. You are beautiful. Tell yourself every day how gorgeous you are, no matter what the media portrays.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Honestly, I don't know why they are doing it, because it's not something I've ever done. Now, I have joked that I'm not white, I'm mixed race - half albino, half lobster, because I burn so easily and so badly. It is NOT meant as a slam on anyone's racial origin or meant to say anything bad about anyone that is mixed ethnicity.

But I find it funny (not ha ha, but ironic), what you say about not being seen as attractive because of skin color. Maybe because of the sub culture I live in (military, there are LOTS of backgrounds, ethnic and otherwise, all mixed together), I've heard the message of "white women are boring, they aren't as exotic or mysterious" as women of color. So maybe that's what they are trying to say - not, "ha ha, we're your ugly color", but more, "look, we're trying to look as cool and exotic as you".

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• cont

And, ironically, we're stationed in Japan now, and a lot of the western women (white and black) are like - wow - we feel like these old looking heifers next to all these petite, perfect skin, look so young Japanese women. But one of my very dear friends is a Japanese woman, and she thought this was HILARIOUS, because she said she always feels like she looks like such a little girl, because "American women have curves and breasts" and she wants that!

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm glad you don't see yourself as ugly, because I think that maybe your friends really aren't trying to say that you are, or trying to make you feel insecure, it's just more of a reflection of their own insecurities, because of their own "put down' messages that they've gotten.

Does that make sense?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I doubt that she was insulting you,just had a poor choice of words . We all stick our foot in our mouths at times so to speak but if you had gotten to know her you might think differently. You look like a very beautiful woman and i don;t know why you down grade your self. You must change your way of thinking dear.
    Anonymous

• You know it is something we do ~ us lighter skinned folks love it when our skin turns darker. I, for one, do not for one minute think darker skinned individuals are unattractive.

You really should enjoy your lovely beauty!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My guess is they were probably thought they were being funny. I can honestly say I have never seen a white or asian girl go into a tanning booth and come out looking like a black girl lol
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:41 AM on Jul. 22, 2011

• hm. i don't tan, because it causes skin damage and cancers.
    MsSelfDestruct

Answer by MsSelfDestruct at 11:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Ill take it as a compliment
    Anonymous

• lol they wish they could look as exotic as me...
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2011