I want to meet my son's peers. Do schools allow parents to step inside the classrooms?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have to agree with mjande4. I know me. I'd be the kind to hover so I won't volunteer in my daughter's classroom. I volunteer for other stuff though that has to do with the school. Parents and kids kind of get to know you that way.
    leomommy1325

Answer by leomommy1325 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Our schools encourage parental involvement. It is not for you to meet the kids though.
    We can go any day and eat lunch with the child. There are all kinds of volunteer opportunities.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Some schools allow parents to volunteer in the classrooms. I'm not sure if they would just let you go sit and watch, if that's what you mean.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• If they don't, I would get your son out of that school, because it usually means they're trying to hide something. There are lots of ways to meet your son's classmates...try to volunteer at activities, host a party and let him pick the people who get invited (or invite everyone in his class), take your son lunch and have lunch with him in his cafeteria (or if you call ahead, you can enjoy a delicious cafeteria treat). This allows you not only to meet his friends, but also to build relationships with his teachers, school staff, see what he's eating at school, and see how he acts in the school environment. I did this as often as possible with my girls, and they LOVED it that the teachers knew me and that I participated, even though my time was limited.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I think it's your right as a parent to visit whenever you would like. I'd say go around lunch time or ask to volunteer by reading to the class or something. If you visit during instruction, you may not be able to really interact and get to know the kids because they'll be tuned into the lesson. This is just my opinion, but it may be good to consider your child's disposition. If your child has separation anxiety at the beginning of the school year, popping in and out will make it more difficult. Wait until they are settled into the routine. You didn't mention this and I'm not making that assumption... Just throwing that out there just in case. :)
    Ash09855

Answer by Ash09855 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I volunteer regularly, everyone should put in a little time and see what's going on around school. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Most schools will let you go and observe, and they encourage volunteers, and things like going to eat lunch with your student, etc. However, as a pp said, it's not for you to meet their peers, and they really frown on when parents are interfering or disrupting the class. Not that the parents who do so are trying to be a problem, but they "just want to help" so they are talking to their kid, adding instruction, helping get this or that out, etc, and that's a problem.

I would suggest volunteering in the class (quietly helping with what the teacher needs, not helping your child specifically), and observe. Then, when you see the kids that your kid is playing with and stuff, you can invite those kids over for play dates, and get to know them that way.

I have teenagers, and I've used this method since they were little, and you would be surprised at how much you learn and are a part of their lives this way :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I volunteer, and have worked as a lunch lady and currently a sub teachers aide...kids give other kids more respect when they see the moms and dads involved in anyway.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:37 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• The school my kids used to go to discouraged parents in the classroom because it's disruptive and they didn't allow you to just stop in at any time. You had to make an appointment and have a reason to want to sit in the classroom.
    The school they go to now says it's okay to come sit at lunch with the kids. I've never done it, though and have no urge to invade my kids' school space unless they are having issues.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:14 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Fro sure ask if you can volunteer for something. My DS's son had a sign up sheet for ppl they always wanted extra help.
    angelamiles05

Answer by angelamiles05 at 1:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2011