Very upset at daughter's school

My daughter is going to be a freshman and wants to be on the volleyball team. I called the school up and asked them about volleyball camp, they said that they were in-between coaches and would post something on their site when they knew something. They also said they would get back to me. One of my friends came over just now and said she was excited for volleyball camp to start tomorrow. I was like, wth? Nobody told me. I went online and see that it was posted Friday. I'm upset that nobody told me, I can't get her signed up, and, its so expensive I can't come up with that kind of money tomorrow. The camp is necessary to be on the team. I don't know what I can do, if anything.

emmyandlisa

Asked by emmyandlisa at 11:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Take her prepared to do the camp tomorrow, and if you can at least put a deposit on the camp, they will often let her start--and don't be afraid to ask if there are any scholarships available if money is an issue...they won't offer them to you, you'll have to ask. Most schools, educators, and coaches are not happy about the whole "Pay to play" reality that most schools face, and will do whatever they can to help students get where they need to be. If they turn her away, at least you know you tried your best, and you can take it to a school board meeting if necessary.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I never hold my breath waiting for a school to get back to me. It rarely happens. Unfortunately you probably don't have many options. High School sports participation is expensive. Both my boys ran track and cross country. If they had been in HS at the same time there is no way we could have done it. Football and Cheer are probably the most expensive, although Dance is outrageous too.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Sure you can do something. You take her tomorrow and tell them you were promised a return call and didn't get it and you would like a couple days grace to come up with the payment.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 12:10 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Just call the coach directly, I would think they could work something out.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 10:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2011