Will you admit that you look down to cashiers and treat them like you're better than they are?

i really try to stay positive. i am the nicest cashier you'll meet. i'm friendly, make polite conversation. why do so many people think they are better than me. there is this one man who always comes through my line, i'll say "hi how are you" he says nothing. he always pays in cash and he always tosses the cash onto the secondary conveyor belt. he can see i have my hand out and he just looks at it and tosses the money on the belt. he never says thank you. there are many customers like this but i encounter this one a lot. why are some people so mean to cashiers. i'm a person, i have feelings. i'm not lower than you because i make less money than you. i'm working to raise a family and put myself through school. i deserve respect, everyone does

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• Some people are just asses. :) Just smile and remind them to have a wonderful day.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I cashiered for to many years to ever look down on one/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I would never treat anyone this way. I am friendly with everyone. That is just sad that some people would behave this way. They should be ashamed.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I have no idea why people are like that. I worked fast food as a cashier (and later a cook) and people were so rude all the time. Once, I had a guy start snapping his fingers at me like I was a waitress (not dissing waitresses, just saying I wasn't a waitress) when he was sitting (no joke) less than two feet from the counter. When I didn't respond, he sent his kid up to me to yell at me and tell me I needed to pay attention to my customers because they were more important than the ones who were standing in line trying to order at my register. WTF? I've seen people act the way you described that guy, and when I get to the cashier, I usually tell him or her to try to ignore people like that. I always talk to my cashiers, even if they're being rude to me. Everyone deserves respect, as you said, and I think it isn't polite to not speak, or at least act polite if you're too shy to speak. Hang in there hun ((hugs))
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I've cashiered and done other jobs working with the public. I would never forget. I think everyone should have to work/deal with the public every so often!
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I use to be a cashier for khols and I had a couple of customers make racial remarks some wouldn't put the money in my hand they would slam it on the counter sp yep I been there bit o will never do that to someone- I don't look down on anyone no matter what hour occupation is
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Hell no!! A job is a job is a job!!! I try to make small talk, joke around, whatever. I always ask how their day is, tell them to have a good day or enjoy the rest of their shift.The cashiers remember me and ask little questions like how my guinea pigs are doing or something I had mentioned the last time I went through their lane. I'd take a job as a cashier. It's a paycheck and you do what you have to do!! I never look down on anyone's job because they are providing a service to me. Whether it is scanning my groceries, cutting my hair, checking out my library books. Whatever..Do what you are doing and don't let the assholes get you down!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:07 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• dancingNo I will not. I think after you spend 8 hrs standing on your feet all day dealing with customers, you deserve an award!!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:08 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I am never rude or look down on anyone. I am kind of reserved and not good at small talk, but I always make sure to say thank you and tell them to have a great day and smile. I just can't chit chat.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I work in a pharmacy and cashiering is part of our job. I encounter people like this everyday. They obviously have low self esteem to think they are better than anyone else. I even had a lady once look down her nose at me and inquired how could I possibly work in a job that deals with sick people all the time. Am I not concrned about my health? i said, you're here aren't you, and seeing your prescription you're not feelng well yourself. Should I turn my back on you? She was stunned! I was livid!!!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 11, 2011