Is your toddler easy to feed?

Mine is not. He will not even eat his favorites if it's not something he wants right then. It can be such a guessing game sometimes. It is one thing to know favorites but another to figure out what the heck he wants. He is 14 months and can talk some of course but he can't speak up about everything he wants. It is frustrating when I put food on his tray and he smears it or just stares like it' s nasty.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I say NO he laughs about it especially when I pick it up.

I feed him his basics but there are times when he doesn't even want those.

I went to a wic appoinment and he went down in weight percentile. I can't remember the exact numbers but he weighs 20 lbs:(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I haven't had much problems. My boys just eat everything in sight, sorry.
    Grungalax

Answer by Grungalax at 12:40 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• You are so lucky. He was not like this until about a month ago and then he started it up. He has a variety of things he likes buuuuut if he does not want it then he will sit and jabber instead of eat.

If there is 3 foods at the tray and he wants 2 but not the 3rd, he will throw it on the floor and he thinks it's funny when I pick it up. I can't just put him in his room because he is actually eating his other food.

He is VERY strong willed when it comes to food. It is very frusrating.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I am very tired of cleaning up food off the floor too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My son is 21 months and 18 pounds because of a growth problem. Although he eats quite well most of the time...Could he be filling up on snacks and drinks? If so, he simply may not be hungry. It's considered good for us as adults to graze throughout the day but little ones need those calories from bigger meals.
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• He doesn't really snack and I try to space his meals at least 3 hours apart so he is hungry. He gets 1 sippy(the playtex cars one) during the day and later one another one.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:01 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• You could try just giving him one food at a time. If you stagger the items, eliminating the choice, he might eat better. Or try making meals a little more laid back. If he starts to play with his food, throwing it on the floor or on him- take it away until he calms down. At this age saying 'no' quickly turns it into a game for him. If you don't play into it then he might stop the funny business. I know it's aggravating but it will pass!
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 1:23 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• NO... we don't make special meals he gets what he gets period and we started from the time he was on table foods. If they don't have the expectation that you will cater to their every want and desire they will eat what is provided without a fuss.
    Don't stress if he doesn't eat... he WILL eat eventually... put his plate in the fridge and offer it again later if he chooses not to eat.
    If he throws his food on the floor his meal is over. He'll learn quickly that if he's hungry he needs to keep his food on his plate.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My 15 month old is very hard to feed!! it frustrates me all of the time. One day he loves something and the next he hates it. He will put food in his month and then spit it out and sometimes he just throws it. Once it a while I get a good day but its rare lol
    SJSMOMMA

Answer by SJSMOMMA at 1:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• He sounds normal, actually. If you just try to give him things he "likes" so he'll eat something, you will just end up even more frustrated over time as he gets pickier and pickier. It's time to stop playing his games. Offer a wide variety of food at set times, eat with him, and let him decide if/what he wants to eat. Don't plead or bribe - just leave him to his food. As long as everything you're offering is healthy, it doesn't matter what he picks.

Regarding throwing.. it will take time, but here's what I did. Put a little food in front of him. If he throws it, immediately say "no throwing food" and then take it away. Offer again in a minute. If he throws again, say "no throwing - if you throw, we're done" and then meal is over. He'll learn soon.

Unless his weight percentile dropped dramatically (like from 50% to 20%) you shouldn't worry about starving him. A little change (like from 25% to 20%) is perfectly normal.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2011