Pets

I need to know how long a small dog can be out in hot weather without hurting it's health.

Sarah961

Asked by Sarah961 at 1:15 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Pets

• The top 2 moms r wrong. According to animal control,dogs cannot stay outside when the temp is over 80 and the humidity is high!! They have fur that they can't take off!! If u leave them outside like that u will be charged with animal neglect and cruelty!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Probably all day as long as the doggie has food, water, and shade. We have 2 Beagles that have a nice yard that love being out there all day.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think if your dog is panting it's too hot.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 3:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I agree with CollinBayleeMom- your animals should not have to stay outside 24/7 no matter what.. Little Dogs can Not handle this kind of Heat regardless, of the amount of water & shade you provide them- they announce all the time on the news to bring your dogs in b/c of the temperature being in the Danger Zone- my Chi/Yorkie Loves to lay out it the Sun for about 20 minutes at a time but then needs a long break..

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 4:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I have two bigger dogs, a collie and a redbone hound puppy, and they do just fine outside all day, with access to the barn and fresh, cold water. I take their water bowl, fill it about 3/4 with water, and leave it in the freezer all night and then put cold water from the fridge in the morning, that way, they have a solid block of ice that melts gradually all day and stays cold.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 5:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I personally wouldn't make ANY dog live outside (unless maybe it was a livestock guardian)! Dogs are pack animals and should live where their pack (you & your family) is unless you are staying outside ALL day with your dog (which I doubt).
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:13 AM on Jul. 11, 2011