Is in vitro a sin?

So, let me get this straight. Abortion is a sin because it is murder, according to certain interpretations of the Bible, right? So, what about in vitro? When you take out what . . .50 to 100 eggs and only fertilize a few of them, what happens to the rest of the eggs? Trash can? Have you just killed possible future children? What about choosing certain sperm to fertilize? Isn't that unnatural? What if God had a different code he wanted that egg to have? Have you ruined it?

So, I am pro-choice and pro-fertilizing help, but, I got to thinking, and I was wondering if the church is against in vitro. Is it? Why or why not? Following church logic, it should be, right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Oh I'm sure my church is against it for the reasons you just stated but I'm not. I personally would do in vitro if I had the money. Every child is precious.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:26 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• No, I don't believe it is a sin. God created all these brilliant minds in Drs to help create a beautiful child for parents. I would think that God has a hand in this and knows which eggs are good for fertilizing.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I don't believe it's a sin. I believe if a baby is conceived through in vitro, it's because God wanted it to and it was meant to be. Otherwise, people could go through cycle after cycle of in vitro with no success (and it does happen).
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 2:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• There are many people who wouldn't use In Vitro for the reasons you described. If you hold the belief that life begins at conception, than all the fertilized eggs are the beginning of life. Many people either don't use in Vitro, or only fertilize as many eggs as they can have inseminated in one cycle.  I don't know if it's a sin or not, but I would see all the fertilized eggs as holding the early stages of human life so it would be hard for me to freeze and potentially not use these eggs.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think it depends on the church and the individual feeling. I don't think I would consider it natural but I have no problem with it. That is the woman's choice not mine and no one can say differently.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I am pro-life, but I support in vitro. I think there's a difference in trying to create life and in ending life.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• To add, unfertilized eggs aren't living, so "tossing" them isn't the same as abortion - it's not really that different than losing your egg every month with menstruation. So unless someone believes you should actually try to use EVERY egg you can in your life, I don't think they could say it's comparable.

I also don't believe that God plans out our genetic code, that He's that involved. I don't see anything wrong, religiously, with choosing which sperm to use, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I can only speak for myself...I personally wouldn't do in vitro because I'd feel that if I couldn't get pregnant naturally, then I am meant to remain childless. Is it a sin? I don't think so. I agree with what bandgeek said about the unfertilized eggs getting tossed. Also, if the church viewed in vitro as sinful, then wouldn't getting a tubal also be viewed as sinful?
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:52 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If that were true then every sperm ejaculated during a porn binge would be a sin. I wonder how many priests are guilty of that "sin" eh???
    Blue_Spiral

Answer by Blue_Spiral at 11:40 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Really good answers, thanks. Does anyone specifically know what their religious leaders advise about in vitro? What about the unused fertilized eggs? What about thinning out the herd when more than two take?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2011