Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you find out if there is a warrant out for your arrest?

Like for writing a bad check. Like a year and a half ago i had a $19.87 check get returned to the family dollar. I got something in the mail from them once and never paid it.I know it is on my credit report now, but how do i find out if there is a warrant for my arrest because of it. A couple of days ago i called the 800 numbeer for family dollar, and that person couldn't help me at all on figuring out how to take care of it.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • I don't think they would issue a warrant for your arrest over 20 bucks. I think if you get the corporite number they will be able to help you figure out how to pay it.

    Answer by my3turtles at 10:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

  • So all you did was bounce a check? That's not a crime. I'd contact a credit agency and pay off the fee.

    Check fraud is writing checks that aren't yours to begin with.

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

  • Just call that county and ask , they don't arrest you for a $20 check, you would get cited into court or given an amount you can pay to have it taken care of out of court.

    Answer by customcat2000 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

  • Well, first of all, they wouldn't arrest you for such a small amount of money, but if you did it all the time, they sure would. My sister did it at a Wal-Mart (I mean she bounced checks like it was cool at the same Wal-Mart, they were her checks but she kept doing it and never paid them) and they did arrest her. However, if it was one time and it was only $20 I would just find out how you could take care of it. Especially since you don't want $20 to ruin your credit. Another thing, my sister found out there was a warrant out for her arrest when she went to purchase a handgun (to protect herself and her daughter from her crazy ex husband- yes I know crazy family drama!! Thank goodness my life is not like that!!) She got denied and they gave her a 800 number to call to find out why she got denied and that is when they told her there was a warrant out for her and she had to go turn herself in. Good luck!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

  • ReneeK3, bouncing a check is a crime, but no one is going to arrest you for doing it once. It's good that you want to take care of it, but wait until after the holidays. If it was a year ago, they have already written it off (taxes) last year. You are probably going to piss off an accountant somewhere for paying the $20 LOL. No one is going to arrest you for 1 check, you probably wouldn't be arrested for 20 checks as long as you were willing to pay them off. It's a waste of tax payer money to arrest you, the cop alone makes more than $20 an hour.

    Answer by at 12:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

  • Have someone call up there and pay it off for you. Dont call up there yourself and go up there,because if you do have a warrant they can get you when you go up there. Just handle the problem

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • Ha..thats crazy..I did the same thing!! Two days ago I got a postcard in the mail that stated that there was a warrant out for my was in another state though. I called and had to send in a money order..(Bad check written for 12.00 a year ago) I had to send 136.00 to the sheriffs office.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.