Really What did I say that was wrong?? Now we cant be friends???

Me:If you are interested we will be having vbs at our church this week...

Him:Were athiest

Me:No you're not

Him:You were told as a child.....santa, easter bunny, tooth fairy and jesus were real......you grew up and realized easter bunny, tooth fairy and santa weren't real.....what proof do you have the other is real?

Me:Are u being serious?

Him:Think about it!!!!

Me:Then could you tell me why your profile says you're a Christian?

Him:Cause christians sent truly tolerant of others
^^Arnt

Me:Thats a very stereotypical statement...

Me:seems to me if you knew that He was a myth and you KNEW that u wouldnt be ashamed to let others know what u really believe...

Him:Do you KNOW he is real?

Me:I have FAITH he is real

Him:What is faith?

Me:I trust my Bible and EVERYTHING that is in it is in my opinion true
FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD, HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON~ That came straight from YOUR page...

Him:how can you have a belief in something you can't touch, see, hear or taste.....you need atleast one of the four to prove something is real

Me:I dont need "proof" today, "proof" will come in time...

Him:The bible was first written by a man who's civilization ceast to exist....then translated at least 7 times.....

Me:well I will always have FAITH in my Bible..... Sorry if I offended u by inviting your kids. I guess I just misinterpreted you facebook info.....

Him:Ever heard of lost in translation?..... what you read now ain't what was written in that first bible....

Me:I do understand that.....

Him:So you worship the bible and not the man?....hhhmmm...I wasn't offended..your the one that got all defensive...im just saying...think for yourself....don't just believe what your told

Me:No I dont worship my Bible at all I just said I believe in it. I didnt get defensive, I just thought u were kidding at first bc of what I saw on your info page....

Me:I didnt mean to open a can of worms I was just trying to be nice....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Anytime you tell someone no, they aren't what they believe themselves to be, you're attacking their faith or beliefs. Then, they get defensive. So, by telling her she WASN'T an Athiest she had to defend herself.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• The reason I said that was because I believed he was joking because on his facebook page he has his relious views as Baptist and his favorite quote was John 3:16. So I honestly thought he was kidding at first.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:38 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Believe me when I say your intentions were good. My mother was an Atheist and my father wasn't. I used to go to VBS with my grandmother all the time as a child. Of course my mother did not like it at all. But my father intervened and gave us a choice. Which I appreciated. It was about the only thing he ever did I appreciated, lol
    I was brought up in a very confused home but learned early on to respect all believes.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• You can be friends. As long as you don't discuss religion or lack thereof.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 3:30 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I understand your confusion, if he says he's a Christian on his page and has a bible quote.

Mamaclna

Answer by Mamaclna at 3:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Religion is a touchy subject and people. You can be friends, but now you know this subject is off limits in this friendship.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:10 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• With that info posted on his own page, purposefully, i'd say no, you couldn't be friends with him. He obviously has no respect for your personal beliefs, if he's mocking in plain sight. You'd either have to bow to his foolishness (the intended mocking), or avoid him altogether.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• He could have cleared the confusion straight up, rather than begin questioning you. Yours was an honest confusion that he probably intended. Do you want to be friends with someone who is ready to do battle with you, or would you rather be friends with someone who respects your choices (mutually)?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:33 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Would you really expect someone to think you were serious if you had your religion posted as Christian? All he had to do was say, "I know I have it up as Christian so I don't have to deal with any negative comments about my being an atheist" not start getting into how its ridiculous to believe in God or whatever he was doing. Honestly, I'm not a Christian either and I don't discuss it with any family but I don't put "Christian" on my FB just so I don't have to deal with people, I just leave it blank.

Mamaclna

Answer by Mamaclna at 9:06 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think he has alot of nerve saying on fb that he's Baptist and quoting a Bible verse when in fact he's an Atheist. Saying he put that there because Christian's are intolerant is a cop-out--plain and simple. The guy is a liar and a coward. If you lose his friendship, doesn't sound like you'll be losing much.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2011