How many megapixels is good in a digital camera?

I want to get a digital camera for Christmas but I don't know which one I should tell my husband to get. At Walmart they have some really nice ones but the megapixels are from 7.1 all the way up to 10 and I just don't know what the difference is. Anyone care to explain it to me? Thanks

Tamarock

Asked by Tamarock at 10:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Shopping

• There really isn't much of a difference. You see the difference when the pictures have been blown up. If you plan on making larger pictures from your snapshots then the higher the megapixel, the better.

I had a 3.1 megapixel before my 7.1 megapixel and there's no difference in quality--it only shows when you've blown them up.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• The more megapixels you have the bigger you can print the picture. But if you want it just for basic pics and not bigger than maybe 11X17, then the 7.1 is more than enough. I printed a picture I took out to be around 3'X4' and that was with a 5 megapixel camera.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Don't get hung up on the megapixels. There are so many other things that make a good camera. Anything over 5 megapixels is going to be great - IF - you get a good camera. Think about things like Image Stabilization (this helps lower your chances of getting fuzzy, out of focus pictures), Optical Zoom (lets you zoom in to get those hard to see shots!) I'm not sure what your budget is but a camera site I like reviewed their "Top 10" cameras available for under $150 dollars. It was a great article.  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408budgetgroup/

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• The "overall" winner was the Panasonic Lumix LZ8 (I actually bought this for a friend for 99.00 from B&H photo at Thanksgiving) another excellent choice was the Sony Cybershot w120.

Good luck! Feel free to message me if you have any questions, I just hunted this stuff down looking for a camera for my best friend.. .so it's fresh in my mind. :)

Serafyna

• I think it is the zoom that matters more. If you have a 10megapixel camera but it only has a 3x zoom then it is worthless. I have a Panasonic Lumix as well and love it. My husband just bought me a Cannon Rebel 450D that is 12.1 megapixels and I have bought two different style lenses to go with it.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 3:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• All I know is that the more megapixels your camera uses, the less photos that can be stored on your SD card, if you use one.
    If that isn't a problem and you like what you have read about megapixels above, then don't worry about it - or just buy a higher GB on your SD card. The back of each SD card package will tell you approximately how many photos will go on that card according to how many megapixels your camera uses.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:19 AM on Dec. 26, 2008