Do you tell your friends and family when they are getting fat? adult content

When you see your family members steadily gaining weight, do you mention it to them?

What if they bring it up and you have a lot of experience and knowledge with healthy weight loss, would you give them advice?

The reason I ask this is because my little sister used to be of a very healthy weight. She maintained it by watching her portions at meals and monitoring her weight. She would also exercise to maintain, but it was really sporadic, not consistent. Ever since she started college 3 years ago, she's been steadily gaining weight every semester. She is now considered obese with a BMI of 32. I'm concerned about this because it's very unhealthy to be overweight and it also speaks a lot about how happy she is... If she was happier, she probably wouldn't be overeating like this.
She tells me at meals she never eats less then 3-4 plates if food! She brings it up when I talk to her and I give her all the advice I've used to lose weight (I had to lose 20lbs after having my daughter).

I tied to talk to my mom about it and she said she looks better now then she did at her healthy weight... And claimed that before she was too thin! My mom is of a healthy weight.. I'm kinda sick of her constantly saying that her daughters look good obese. My older sisters are both struggling with their weight as well. I feel like it shouldn't be so much of a struggle... Is it that hard to incorrporate exercise into your life and watch what you eat? I don't give them advice unless they ask, but it really makes me sad that they no longer care about themselves. I was overweight in high school due to lack of knowledge and not exercising ever... They were all thin back then and would call me fat. No idea why they all suddenly gave up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• If she is the one bringing up her eating habits then I might *GENTLY* talk with her about it. Do you live in the same town, or is she away at school? If you live in the same town, maybe invite her to go to the gym with you, go for a walk, or a yoga class, etc. Invite her over for dinner and show her by example healthy eating habits.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 8:40 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Don't know what I'd say, but I really wish when I started gaining weight that someone would've gotten me moving. Having someone offer to go walking with you is better than just saying, "Wow, you've gotten big as a house. You should lose some weight." Personally, I got so consumed with taking care of everyone else, I forgot to take care of myself. I used to walk 3/4 mile every day, rain or shine, from the bus to my office, but when I changed schedules, I quit doing it, and didn't increase my activity anywhere else. I really miss being thin, but that ship has already sailed, so it's difficult to make that first step on my own.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 4:01 AM on Jul. 11, 2011