One state is trying to make it harder to get a divorce

I read in this in the paper this morning and it really got me thinking......why make it harder to get a divorce? Make it harder for EVERYONE to get married.

They want to require mandatory couples counseling before divorce, greater tax incentives for married people, and a lot of other stuff.

Many would benefit from counseling before marriage, or a mandatory wait, including myself. Why make it harder to get rid of someone you probably shouldn't have married in the 1st place?

I married a complete doofus when I was 19 with absolutely no thought. I loved him, he asked, I said yes. My current husband and I dated for 2 years and went through 6 months of counseling before we got married. And although we do get on each others nerves sometimes, it is a very stable relationship.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• I think predivorce counselling can be a VERY good thing, esp if their are children involved. In many cases, I think it could make the actual divorce easier since you could work out the details, such as who gets what & then the papers would simply have to be approved, rather than needing a court date to go in & argue in front of the judge. In cases where children are involved, counselling could help teach the parents how to put their own feelings aside & co-parent for the best intrest of the child(ren).
    I don't see the greater tax incentives for married people as "making it harder to get divorced," but rather as an encouragement for people to stay married. That's not necessarily a bad thing & also doesn't necessarily mean that they have to stay together to get them, as they could likely live in separate places & still file, "married", since legally they would be married.
    SleuthMaria

Answer by SleuthMaria at 5:08 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think both are a good idea. I think that there are way too many people who get married without really thinking about it first, and I also think that there are a lot of marriages that could be saved, but rather than working it out, they just decide to walk away (whether because they didn't have the communication skills that could save it, or because they've only ever seen "disposable" relationships modeled, etc.)

I also absolutely agree with something that Ohio requires - if you have kids, you have to take a parenting class before you get divorced - this is to try to help you not use the kids as weapons against each other...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Why make it harder to get rid of someone you probably shouldn't have married in the 1st place?

Maybe it will make people think BEFORE they marry someone. I support making it harder to get divorced especially when there are children involved.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:33 AM on Jul. 11, 2011