When do you get your period after having your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• After delivery, most women experience an extended "period" called lochia for several weeks (anywhere from 2-4 weeks is normal). It will start like a regular period, then taper off to a heavy spotting before it finally stops. If you are not breastfeeding, it is normal to start having a period shortly thereafter, which means you ARE fertile before you have a period because you ovulate. If you do breastfeed, you might delay having a period until you start weaning your baby and starting on solid foods, but you may still be fertile. It's different for everyone.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 4:32 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I got my regular period back 5.5 weeks after giving birth, while EBF. I didn't expect to get it until DD was at least a few months old, from what I'd heard about EBF, but my body is weird apparently. Some women get theirs back a few weeks after giving birth, and for many who EBF, they don't get it back until they stop breastfeeding altogether. It really varies from woman to woman.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• It depends. With mine, I never got my period back until my kids were eating lots of solids - around 11-12 months or so.

Answer by missanc at 7:39 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I was breast feeding it was about 3 months!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:07 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• It varies. Breastfeeding often makes a difference. You can get it back as soon as 6 weeks, some women won't get it back for a year or longer. I got mine at 10-12 weeks pp with all of mine, regardless of bf.
    Anonymous

• For me it was 4 months with my bottle fed one and 8 and 9 months with the breastfed ones. It does seem to vary from mother to mother and between children, like it's totally random, a lottery! x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 2:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2011