Eye disease or something... Anyone know what this is?

Ok my sister A. has something wrong with her eyes. She's only told my sister H. about it, but our mom managed to get H. to talk about it, and then A.'s husband talked to our step dad about it as well. We think A. is staying quiet so people don't freak out. I'm trying to help my mom figure out what it is so we can learn as much as we can and try to help.

This is all we know so far: She keeps totally losing her vision, especially when she gets upset. Just all of a sudden she goes blind temporarily and it lasts for varying amounts of time. The doctors told her that one day, possibly soon, it's going to happen and she'll never regain her sight. My mom said she thinks the name of it begins with an "M" but she isn't certain, and from what we've heard, there's no cure. Does anyone know what this might be and if there IS a cure?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 4:41 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Health

• Has she recently been hit or had a fall witha blow to head ? She needs to see a Dr. Asap..no playing around or waiting. It cld be pressure in the brain from blood vessel or several other things. They will do scan at ER pronto!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 4:54 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• some eye probs are correctable with eye surgery. My mother had quite a few eye surgeries. Your sister needs to see someone who specializes in eye diseases. This doctor could be right could be wrong.
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 5:06 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Are you thinking it's macular degeneration?
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• As I said, she's seen a doctor about it already and the prognosis isn't good. It hasn't been caused by trauma, though. We're (my mother and I) just trying to figure out all we can about it, since she isn't talking to anyone except our other sister about all of this, and my mother can't remember what it was called.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 4:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I don't think that's what it is. She's only in her early 40s, and she literally goes blind for a while, it isn't just blurry vision, problems distinguishing colors and seeing faces, etc. She just randomly totally loses her sight, and it happens more frequently when she gets upset (like really angry, for example). I might be wrong, it might be macular degeneration, but it doesn't seem to fit with what we've heard about what she's experiencing. Thanks anyway :)
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2011