What can be done for poison oak?

My hubby is suffering with a bout of poison oak. Does anyone have any suggestions as to some type of relief?

grannywilson

Asked by grannywilson at 4:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Health

• if he can take benedryl or an antihistamine then do so. Oatmeal baths like Aveeno help greatly. Calamine lotion. Don't scratch no matter how bad it itches. It can take up to 3 weeks to go away.
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 5:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Get some Hydrocortisone cream and Benadryl. I got into some earlier in the year after falling into a briar patch (P.S. never let poison oak get into an opened wound) and it got into my blood stream and I had it everywhere. It was awful. If it's not better in a couple of days, take him to a doctor and they maybe can give him a shot of cortisone.Good luck and I hope he feels better.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 5:04 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I agree with the pps. Also - do NOT take a bath - if you do, the oils from the plant that have gotten on your skin and caused it will spread, and the rash will also spread. Do NOT take a warm shower, either - because the warm water will open the pores in the skin, and also cause your to basically "absorb" more of the poison and will make it worse.

Oatmeal, calamine, benadryl, all of those things can help. If it gets really bad though, or gets near his eyes, mouth, etc, then you need to call the Dr.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I ended up going to the doctor and got a cortisone shot.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:15 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Hibicleans and iverest both work great and can be found at wal-mart.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 11, 2011