Why am I so hungry when I wake up to feed my newborn?? HELP!

I wake up to feed my baby and I'm starving and craving everything in the book!!! Why? And how can I not head to the chocolate? Why am I craving everything sweet??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you taking your vitamins?
    Taking care of a baby demands all your time and energy. You have to "refuel" your body for the job by eating right. Instead of heading to chocolate why not heading for something more nutritious. Some fruit, maybe some yogurt, and even some cereal. Keep your intake of food to every 2-4 hours. Same as your baby. :)
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 6:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I always eat what I'm craving, because I believe your body tells you what you need - but instead of eating a chocolate bar, try some chocolate cheerios, or special k chocolate cereal. Some fruit may satisfy your craving for sweet also. If you are breastfeeding, then you need the fuel! Are you eating enough during the day?

Answer by missanc at 7:36 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Because your using more calories to make milk for the baby. Eat something healthy just like while pregnant. And the PP is right take your prenatals still.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:37 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Your body is in recovery from having a baby. Your body fasts through the night so you're stomach is empty when you wake up. If you're breastfeeding it will stay that way. Your body needs 500 calories more than a non breastfeeding mom. Your body burns 500 calories a day just to produce the breast milk for baby. Don't worry about it. I crave sweets horribly and my baby's 6 months old. I try to eat fruit over junk. Try watermelon with some vanilla greek yogurt, cabot is my favorite. You can try any fruit. I make my own smoothies as well instead of going for icecream. That's all I do is eat and I'm losing weight. I'm 5 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. Try increasing some healthy carbs. Congrats by the way!!!
    Naplesmommy03

Answer by Naplesmommy03 at 7:40 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I remember feeling this way! SOOOO hungry and thirsty when I had to nurse. I just made it a point to get a snack and water before nursing every time. After the first few months, my appetite calmed down a lot. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Thank you ladies... I thought there was something wrong with me lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• lol, I remember it well! You're hungry because you're so tired but you may well be thirsty too. We often confuse the two. Keep a glass of water by your bed and cookie or two? Hugs!
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 2:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Haha love the cookie or two lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2011