Do you get sick of people telling you that you are spoiling your child?

I worked in daycare and I worked as a nanny. I have seen spoiled children and I think it takes more than just holding your four month old baby a lot to really spoil a child. My son's not even old enough to learn cause and effect relationships and people are already telling me that he is spoiled. If you kid is actively throwing temper tantrums everyday all day then that's one thing, but my son is still a baby! Does this happen to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont think you can spoil your 4 month old enough. everyone tells me that too, esp. with sleeping through the night!
    00MissJade

Answer by 00MissJade at 10:52 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• No one has told me that because they know I'd bite their head off! Haha. You can't spoil a baby. You can teach them to trust that you will meet all their needs. Don't listen to the idiots.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:55 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• People tell me that too. I must admit that I have said it too. But I mean it light heartedly. It's more of a joke. I don't really believe that you can spoil a baby by holding them. Heck, my 3 yr old still loves to be held! And I do it, when I can. The time that I get upset about some one saying that is when they are trying to give unsolicited advice.
    01buckler15

Answer by 01buckler15 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• everyone told me i was spoiling my baby girl by holding her too much and i didn't believe it... however shes nine months now and whenever i put her down she screams until shes red and now im having a lot of trouble with her throwing tantrums. it all depends on the baby, you have to determine when there crying for something they need or when there throwing a tantrum
    SophiaFaithMama

Answer by SophiaFaithMama at 11:21 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Yes I hear that all the time. You can't spoil a baby. Keep doing what you are doing and don't listen to others who disagree with your parenting style. Watch and see how independent and secure your child feels because he was held and loved by his mommy!
    FionaS

Answer by FionaS at 11:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• yes, my aunt came over for thanksgiving and the whole time she was here she was telling me what i was doing wrong with my daughter, that she naps to long, that when she gets hurt i shouldn't confort her, i should let her cry it out, and that i bathe her to much, that i dont need to bathe her everyday, once every 3 days is fine, it drys out her skin, funny thing is, she is the one who raised her kids wrong, she bathed her kids once every 3-4 days,(babies, like 8 months)
    and only let them sleep one hour a day(she would wake them after 1 hour, again4 months and up) and she never conforted her kids when they cryed, she was in the wrong, not I : )
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• my husband and the baby sitter both say my daughter is spoiled i hold her to much and i baby her to sleep, we use to live in a bedroom all 3 of us so i tried to keep her quite while my husband slept i didnt want her waking up the whole house screaming, I also have truoble holding my friends older kids due to back pain from a car accident so i take any chance i can to still be able to hold her
    MonicaGreer21

Answer by MonicaGreer21 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• It's your baby and if you come home from a hard days work and want to hold your baby then do it! Tell everyone else that "I work all day long and when I get home, I want to hold my baby!"  Don't feel bad or think you spoiling her! If it feel right to you then that's all that matters!

porterjoshua06

Answer by porterjoshua06 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• the is no proof that holding a baby all the time or often or whenever will spoil him or her...thats the way to show them you care for them and love them babies learn through touch....everyone learns through touch i dont care how old you are you still learn things
    pebbles425

Answer by pebbles425 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• That makes me so mad! Some people don't know anything about raising kids. They will tell you all up and down you are spoiling your baby and then let their own child raise hell and get away with it. When mine was a baby I got the "You are spoiling her" all the time.. .now that she's older and won't listen to me, I discipline her for it, and people say "You are too hard on her" Make up your minds people!
    It's always something, mama.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 6:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2008