Is this right?

My p/t job decided to remodel and the uniforms changed we are required to buy new uniforms out of pocket through the company very general but I can get the shirts at jc penny for 4.99 they are charging 25 for the shirt I don't feel its fair they are saying u must purchase 2 full uniforms totaling 50 each I only work 1-2 days a week and I don't think its fair.

rinamomof2

Asked by rinamomof2 at 7:08 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• You should only have to purchase your uniforms through the company if there is a certain logo that your company needs to represent. If they are talking about generic uniforms, for example, WalMart requires blue shirt and brown pants, you should be allowed to buy those where you can. If not, I would find another job.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:20 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Do the shirts have the company logo?
    Run this through your supervisor and see if they can make an exception. The only problem is going to be that your co-workers might also want to buy cheaper shirts and maybe the shirts won't be the same exact color or the same model.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• As boss. At the very least he could let you buy your shirts cheaper since you only work a couple days.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I agree with PP. You only work a couple of days and it doesn't seem worth it to spend the money on the uniform.
    ChutterButter

Answer by ChutterButter at 8:33 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• IDK, but the good news is you can claim the money spent on uniforms on your taxes if you itemize.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• It can't hurt to ask if you can get the uniforms somewhere cheaper.

I have worked places where there were uniform requirements and there were offered uniform catalogs where the prices were higher than what you could sometimes find on sale. Generally the uniform catalogs were higher durability and known to all fit requirements with no guesswork, and had the benefit that they could be payrolled - often even on payments - as opposed to out of pockets.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 5:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• There is not a company logo I did ask if I can get my own polo shirts and was told no they had to be purchased from them I am aware of uniform deductions unfortunately they do not qualify for the deduction you can't take uniforms that u would be able to wear for every day wear and being that they are not logo its a wrap I just think its stupid
    rinamomof2

Comment by rinamomof2 (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• California law allows employers to require employees to wear particular types of clothing or uniforms to work. If an employer requires non-exempt employees to wear a uniform, the employer must pay for and maintain it for the employee. What constitutes a "uniform" is not always clear.

tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• According to the California Labor Commissioner, the term "uniform" includes any apparel and/or accessories of distinctive design or color. An employer may prescribe the weight, color, quality, texture, style, form, and make of a "uniform" required to be worn by employees. When an employer simply requires employees to wear "basic wardrobe items which are usual and generally usable in the occupation," the clothing is not a uniform. For example, specifying that employees wear white shirts, dark pants, and black shoes and belts, all of unspecified design, does not constitute a "uniform." The employer is not required to pay for that clothing or its maintenance. If the required clothing can double as street clothes, it is probably not a "uniform."

tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• tasches