Teething baby won't eat?

Dd is almost 19 months. She is FINALLY getting her 4th tooth (two on top and two on bottom). It just broke throught Saturday. But she will not eat anything! She will come up to me and go "yummy yummy" so I get her food but she won't eat. I've tried stuff like applesauce, but I think she ends up accidently biting the spoon and gets mad (I've tried spoonless and just let her do it, but she bit her finger and got mad...). She has barely ate anything all weekend. And normally this child eats constanly. I've been giving her a lot of milk. She also hasn't pooped since Friday, but she hasn't ate enough to poop. She normally only goes once a day anyways. Any suggestions? We've got baby advil and oragel. But the oragel is a huge fight to let me put it in her mouth.

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 7:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'll bet she'd eat a Popsicle. That's what my dd lived off of when she was teething. Kids know when they're hungry. Try not to freak out and she'll get her appetite back when she's ready..
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 7:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• give her some pedialite. if she's running a fever with her teethin milk is not good to give her. and givin her the pedialite will help hydrate her since she's not gettin any food. it will also help with gettin her nutrients. if u cant get pedialite then get some gatorade...but make sure it has electrolytes. smart water is good too.
    lovinlilman

Answer by lovinlilman at 7:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• She will eat when she is hungry, try popsicles, make sure she gets plenty of fluid, and you can buy teething tablets that melt immediately on her tongue, they work very well, I used them on both of my kids.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• There are teething tablets that taste good and work well :)
    lazycervix

Answer by lazycervix at 8:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• a tip on the orajel. but all around the pacifer and stick it in, it will sting at first but it will hlep relieve some pain. Theirs not much else you can do on the eating, if she's in pain. Just give bread or something really soft or banannas. but understand that with not eating much they won't poop. But, it should pass. Just do the things you can do and the teeth won't hurt as much and trust me she will make up for lost time.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:25 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Freeze bananas and try that,, u can cut it in 3rds and put it on a stick. Good luck.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My son will not eat when he is teething either. He is 15 months and has 12 teeth so we have had plenty of days without much food. They eventually get hungry and want to eat again. I know how upsetting it is to see your baby not eat but just keep her hydrated
    SJSMOMMA

Answer by SJSMOMMA at 12:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• We had the same problem. Here are a bunch of things I tried:
    - pediasure or smoothies (you can make some very filling smoothies with fruit and yogurt or even some of the sweeter babyfood and milk)
    - soft fruits like kiwi, bananas, canned peaches
    - yogurt melts or puffs or any of those things that are supposed to just melt in your mouth.
    - really soft bread or scrambled eggs are usually okay. You can spread a little peanut butter or jam on a slice of super soft bread.

Usually, the really bad part of teething only lasts a few days. If she's really hungry but having trouble, you can also give her a dose of ibuprofen (with milk) about 30 minutes before a meal. That will help numb most of the pain so she can eat a little.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2011