Do you take your children outdoors when a Heat Advisory is in effect?

Cafemomoftwo217

Asked by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• We stay in until it cools off. Not worth the sickness from over heating. Once it hits 90 we go to the pool from about 10-2 then back home (since the kids are exhausted from swimming for naps-quiet time). Go back out around 6 ish after dinner for time in the yard or walks. Not worth having puking sick kids (yes my kids will throw up if they over heat, no matter how much water they get)
    kjb9585

Answer by kjb9585 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• We have had been under a heat advisory since mid-June. We go outside on the way to the car, but I don't plan any outdoor activities during this heat. Our city pool doesn't open until noon or we would go there in the mornings (when you wake up to temps in the 80s. why not have it open earlier?) but not in 100+ temps. I definatly would not allow my kids to play sports in this kind of heat (yesterday we hit 110), to me it's just asking for trouble.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Heck, my 9 year old has to play baseball in that weather! I just make sure he takes lots of water with him.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• yeah...but we're always well prepared.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:04 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• No I don't take them anywhere they can't cool off. If it is red flagged (which I see on Military bases) they usually stay inside or I put the pool up so they can cool off for a bit but I do not allow them to do an insane activity that will cause them to lose water and get heat stroke. I used to coach cheerleading and I made everyone go home two nights in a row when the heat was too intense
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If we didn't go out when the heat advisory was up, we would never get out the house in the summer time :) Its over 100 degrees here with the humidity.. High 90's is our normal temp in the summer..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• i live in florida. the summers are always hot, doesn't mean we're going to be hermit crabs. sunscreen, lots of water and limited outdoor activity.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Not normally. It is hard for ME to breathe when it is like that. But if we do need to be out, lots of water is a must.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 8:04 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Yes- if we ant to go somewhere like the pool or the zoo we will go regardless... We take lots of water and at the zoo we take 'breaks' in the covered, shaded, indoor exhibits. If we are talking about just going to play at the park- we di that first thing in the morning before it gets so hot and playing in the back yard, if it is super hot I just limit how long at a time they can go out. So like 20 min out followed by a little while inside... we take precautions but it doesn't ruin or change our plans.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:09 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• We go out, but just for short periods and with plenty of water.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2011