Dialtaion...

I am 34 and 4...I have a OB appointment on Thursday, will they check to see if I have begun to dilate or does that come later?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Hopefully they won't do it at all until you're in labor. Messing with your cervix can cause you to go into labor early, poses a risk of infection, and a lot of other unpleasant things. There's a good reason many midwives don't check for dilation until the woman is in labor, and then only a couple of times. Dilation doesn't really tell you anything until you're actually in labor. But, most OBs love to do things their way instead of letting nature take it's course, and from what I've heard and experienced, they usually seem to start around 36+ weeks.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:09 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My ob didn't check me till 37 weeks when she did my group B streph test. Then again at 39 weeks.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Why get checked?
    No reason to check you then or later, or ever!

If your baby is going to come out or not then it will, or won't.
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:08 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Most doctors wont check until at least 36 weeks. Then every week after that. You do have the right to refuse to be checked though if thats what you want. The only way they usually check before 36 weeks is if there is a reason for them to check you such as you are having contractions or some thing like that. If you do get checked just keep in mind that it doesnt mean anything. You can be dilated for weeks before labor even begins. So dont get your hopes up ok. Good luck.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 11, 2011