Midwife versus OB?

I am not sure the difference between these two but I know I don't want an OB this time for my prenatal care. Can anyone give me tips on these two?

Sunshine4u300

Asked by Sunshine4u300 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• One has more education then the other. OB-more education. midewife- lest education then OB
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I have chosen a certified nurse midwife. My hospital offers this service, so I receive all prenatal care from a midwife and be delivered by a midwife. HOwever, an OB will be available in the event of an emergency. While it is true that midwifes (a certified nurse midwife has to go to nursing school while the ones that do home deliveries don't) do not have medical degrees, they are highly trained in their fields and often have a lower c-section/episiotomy rate than an OB. Ob's are often not trained to turn breech babies, won't let you birth in a standing position and are more likely to medically intervene. Midwives are trained in birthing, in fact, many women around the world use midwives. Watch The Business of Being Born or start reading up on it. I think it's worth it not to have to fight with an OB who insists on intervening.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I'm seeing a midwife for my prenatal care right now and i feel perfectly safe knowing that they also have a more experienced dr. on staff in case something does go wrong.So if you do decide on a midwife i would ask about that.
    ZMK

Answer by ZMK at 10:59 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• A OB is a doctor, he has access to more medical interventions than a mid-wife, and will most likely try to use them. A mid-wife is a labor coach trained to asist in birth. They are educated in alternative medicines, so they cannot perform c-sections or epidurals. I am not sure about other pain meds, but their thing is about natural child birth. If you have no risks for ANY thing, go for the mid-wive. Birth is suppose to be natural anyway
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 11:01 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• There is a huge difference in the model of care you will get. Midwives spend more time with you and are less likely to bully you into having unnecessary medical interventions. They also have a much lower cesarean rate. (They can't do c-sections, but if the need for one arises you get transfered to an OBs care) I had a midwife with my son and I will never ever have an OB unless there is something wrong. Midwives are trained in normal birth, doctors are really trained for emergancy births and often end up seeing things going "wrong" when they really aren't.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:05 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• this question is posted a lot

i have a midwife, and i am not delivering at the hospital. many hospitals have midwives there, so they can work in both places.

Healthy pregnancies are what midwives specialize in. OBs are trained in "unusual or emergency" situations. Go with a midwife, i bet your prenatal care and labor/delivery will be better.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Hey! I used a midwife practice located in Setauket. They are excellent. I can give you more information on them if you'd like. They are affliated with Stony Brook hospital. We had a great experience both with Matteo & Carmine. :o)
    sleeppea

Answer by sleeppea at 2:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2008